Shake up in Canada?

Les

Ontario is a dog's breakfast of HI associations. I think there are 9 groups, all claiming to be the best and collecting membership fees. They need to clear the air.

In BC, we have licensing, with fees to pay to an unorganized bureaucracy and associations we are required to be members of and pay fees to and now we get another organization to join and pay fees to. Bully!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's a good thing for our industry, lawyers can charge big bucks because they have a strong, single association with teeth. The only way home inspection industry can survive and thrive is make it very very hard to become one and keep being one. And start charging by the hour like any other good old trades. Ninety percent of home inspectors give the other ten percent a bad reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that the spokesperson has a history of embellishing facts.

The facts are this is only a Memorandum of Understanding between CSA and NHICC. Full stop.

This just another body of home inspectors trying to convey using flawed stats and embellishments to boost their status.

As a result of the over the top press releases such as the Kingston Whig Standard there has been a considerable amount of complaints to CSA.

There is a stakeholders meeting with CSA on September 12th and I suspect there will be much said by the various interests.

Here is one paper that got it right.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... inspectors

The two groups are in ?very preliminary discussions? to see if they can build ?a strong, credible, consistent and sustainable? national home inspector certification program that would provide better protections for homebuyers, said Anthony Toderian, manager of corporate affairs for CSA Group.

How do you, Raymond Wand, know that this article 'got it right' and the others did not? I don't recall you being at any of the meetings. Neither the CSA nor the NHICC is going to lay all the cards on the table until more details are worked out between them, so I suspect we'll need to wait a few months for the results of the upcoming meetings.

As with most journalism efforts, there are several versions of the same story, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The bottom line is that the CSA and the NHICC have a signed MOU and no matter how you try to diminsih its value, it is very meaningful for those involved. Hopefully it can lead to some semblance of unity in a very fractured industry.

BTW, the Stakeholders' meeting on Sept. 12 is for a totally different project. It has nothing to do with the agreement and project between the CSA and the NHICC. It has more to do with a request from the Province of Alberta to study a new common Standard of Practice for all of Canada.

Bill Mullen

How do you, Raymond Wand, know that this article 'got it right' and the others did not? I don't recall you being at any of the meetings. Neither the CSA nor the NHICC is going to lay all the cards on the table until more details are worked out between them, so I suspect we'll need to wait a few months for the results of the upcoming meetings.

As with most journalism efforts, there are several versions of the same story, and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The bottom line is that the CSA and the NHICC have a signed MOU and no matter how you try to diminsih its value, it is very meaningful for those involved. Hopefully it can lead to some semblance of unity in a very fractured industry.

BTW, the Stakeholders' meeting on Sept. 12 is for a totally different project. It has nothing to do with the agreement and project between the CSA and the NHICC. It has more to do with a request from the Province of Alberta to study a new common Standard of Practice for all of Canada.

Bill Mullen

1. I know I and others have the right story because out of the several papers which ran the story only the Star reported it was at the very preliminary stages.

Here is an example of two papers which didn't get it right.

http://m.torontosun.com/2012/08/15/cana ... regulation

http://www.saultstar.com/2012/08/17/cer ... rs-college

2. What makes you think I have not taken it upon myself along with others to contact CSA in regards to the matter? I and others have had to undertake letter writing before in order to get the real truth. So the truth is not in the middle at least in your ability; the truth is is on the side of accuracy. Something in short supply with your group.

3. Thats right a MOU, big difference from a fet a compli and no one is disputing the MOU. Its the manner in which the press releases from your camp portrayed it. Perhaps purposely done in order to send naive inspectors into the arms of NHICC.

4. I am all for unification of the industry, but I firmly believe there should be no embellishments and ALL parties must be involved. Something you and your party seem to omit on a continual basis and have previously inferred those not in your camp are 'cowboys'. Fractured industry is an understatement and we all know why its fractured.

5. Yes I am aware of the Sept. 12 mandate, as I will be a participant.

6. Also see - CSA Did What?

http://www.oahi.com/english/news/oahi-m ... t-2012.htm

Thank you for the attempts to clarify the matter its sorely needed.

Bill Mullen

1. I know I and others have the right story because out of the several papers which ran the story only the Star reported it was at the very preliminary stages.

Here is an example of two papers which didn't get it right.

http://m.torontosun.com/2012/08/15/cana ... regulation

http://www.saultstar.com/2012/08/17/cer ... rs-college

2. What makes you think I have not taken it upon myself along with others to contact CSA in regards to the matter? I and others have had to undertake letter writing before in order to get the real truth. So the truth is not in the middle at least in your ability; the truth is is on the side of accuracy. Something in short supply with your group.

3. Thats right a MOU, big difference from a fet a compli and no one is disputing the MOU. Its the manner in which the press releases from your camp portrayed it. Perhaps purposely done in order to send naive inspectors into the arms of NHICC.

4. I am all for unification of the industry, but I firmly believe there should be no embellishments and ALL parties must be involved. Something you and your party seem to omit on a continual basis and have previously inferred those not in your camp are 'cowboys'. Fractured industry is an understatement and we all know why its fractured.

5. Yes I am aware of the Sept. 12 mandate, as I will be a participant.

6. Also see - CSA Did What?

http://www.oahi.com/english/news/oahi-m ... t-2012.htm

Thank you for the attempts to clarify the matter its sorely needed.