Mike, how's the radio in the Hawk?

I picked up a push button car radio at a flea market Sunday. Picked it up, saw tubes inside and a transistor on the back, Chevy bowtie on a flat chrome front, must be a '58 I said. I put it down, then the guy ran up and forced me to take it. [:)]

Searching for a schematic, I find that the same Delco radio was used in the Packards and Studeys of 1958.

I expect to have this one playing again sometime this winter. Then I'll have to find a running '58 Chev that needs a radio. Not many of those were saved, it seems. Maybe it was the X-frame that I think came out in that year.

These radios are a hybrid design. The big old metal case power transistor eliminated the need for a vibrator, which boosted plate voltage for the output tube but killed batteries and went haywire a lot. Transistors were pricey and just coming in to use, so they kept running tubes in the front ends of the radios up to 1962 in the Chevs. On the hybrid radios, you will see a transistor on a finned heat sink in the back. FYI [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012821223653_Dscn9695.jpg

47.16 KB

I picked up a push button car radio at a flea market Sunday. Picked it up, saw tubes inside and a transistor on the back, Chevy bowtie on a flat chrome front, must be a '58 I said. I put it down, then the guy ran up and forced me to take it. [:)]

Searching for a schematic, I find that the same Delco radio was used in the Packards and Studeys of 1958.

I expect to have this one playing again sometime this winter. Then I'll have to find a running '58 Chev that needs a radio. Not many of those were saved, it seems. Maybe it was the X-frame that I think came out in that year.

These radios are a hybrid design. The big old metal case power transistor eliminated the need for a vibrator, which boosted plate voltage for the output tube but killed batteries and went haywire a lot. Transistors were pricey and just coming in to use, so they kept running tubes in the front ends of the radios up to 1962 in the Chevs. On the hybrid radios, you will see a transistor on a finned heat sink in the back. FYI [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012821223653_Dscn9695.jpg

47.16?KB

Maybe so. I'm only seeing a portion of the schematic but if you look at it, it shows a 2N278 BJT being used as a final audio amp. The two tubes are an IF amp and detector which is a demodulator.

Or maybe my radio/tv is just getting rusty.

Sidepost: There's no audio within a radio, just electrical signals which I can see with my instruments. I've fixed many stereos without ever hearing them.

Marc

It is for sure, Marc. See here, 5 vacuum tubes, one big Germanium transistor. No vibrator. The tubes and the transistor could all do their work on 12 volts DC.

The second pic is an earlier 6 volt radio. 6 tubes and the big metal can is a vibrator, coil with points which converted DC to AC. The AC could then be stepped up to 100+ volts with a step-up transformer, then converted back to DC, then applied to the plate of the output power tube. The transistor made this all obsolete, mid 50's.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201282213813_58delco.jpg

52.29?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201282213830_51motorola.jpg

55.78?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201282214317_delco%20transistor.jpg

57.82 KB

Hi,

I have no idea how the radio is in my Hawk. I drove it off the trailer, into the shed and within half an hour I had the umbilicalls disconnected and the hood and front bumper off. The body sits in the shed at my friend's house under cover and the chassis is completely disassembled in my garage and is undergoing complete restoration.

The front of my radio looks exactly like the one in the schematic but definitely not like the one on the bottom. I'm not a radio guy. Any idea what it will take to find some buttons for the front of that thing and to get it overhauled if needed? The bottons are so old they literally crumble when pushed. I've been thinking that I was going to have to get new ones by scanning and creating patterns with a 3D printer and then having them milled from solid plastic or bakelite or whatever the hell they're made from.

Found some unobtainium for the Hawk last week. NOS, still in the original factory cartons and never opened, rear fenders (2), doors (2) and a front fender (1). These aren't even available NOS from Studebaker Northwest or from Studebaker International - nobody has 'em NOS and nobody repops 'em. Another PH owner has a buddy who's dad was a Studebaker-Packard dealer in the 50's and had some stuff lying around in the attic of his garage. He didn't need 'em so he told me about the guy.

I'm on my way to Olympia tomorrow to open the cartons, inspect the merchandise; and if they're all correct I'll be coming home with 'em.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike, your radio will need capacitors no doubt. Tubes will likely be ok, as those components are vacuum sealed in glass. The capacitors are rolled paper coated in wax, garbage at this point. If you applied power to them now there is a high risk of frying a priceless component.

I have a full set of Chev knobs and push buttons here. Finding white Packard versions will be a challenge.

There are conversion circuit boards you can have installed that keep the old look, but with transistor components. More reliable, I guess.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012822115715_Delco58.jpg

35.42 KB

..........I'm going to move John and Marc to the back of the Bus! (Buss). Had to read it twice to figger out they are not talking about a potted plant!

What year is the bus? I might have parts for it. [:)]

I found this website searching for Chev info, has some great pics.

https://www.sites.google.com/site/ident ... os-packard

Mike, new buttons can be cast in plastic by making a mold from an old one. Or you could paint these black ones. This radio isn't going anywhere soon. That is great Luck to find all those body parts!

..........I'm going to move John and Marc to the back of the Bus! (Buss). Had to read it twice to figger out they are not talking about a potted plant!

What year is the bus? I might have parts for it. [:)]

I found this website searching for Chev info, has some great pics.

https://www.sites.google.com/site/ident ... os-packard

Mike, new buttons can be cast in plastic by making a mold from an old one. Or you could paint these black ones. This radio isn't going anywhere soon. That is great Luck to find all those body parts!

Good thing Marc can't hear me! They were the good old days when he was way more serious!

PS: you are enabling Mike O!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012822115715_Delco58.jpg

35.42?KB

The white plastic probably broke down from UV rays. I found some sample pics. The Hawk radios are Delco like these with white knobs.

Between $100 and 200 to bring one of these back from the dead, depending on condition.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012822232712_1962%20Hawk%20AM%20PB%20All%20Transistor%20radio%20S-P%20AC-3216.jpg

22.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012822232731_Studebaker%201960%20Lark%20AM%20PB%20radio%20S-P%20AC-2978.jpg

11.28 KB