Gas furnace vent

Ponyboy

I have a vent question. The gas vent on the pictured furnace starts with a DuraVent (B-vent), then a different single wall vent piece is installed and then back to DuraVent. The single wall piece is loose. I reported that the single wall vent should be replaced with a DuraVent piece. My understanding is you can not mix and match vent manufacturers parts.

The furnace installation was inspected and approved by the local jurisdiction, (Bellevue WA). The seller will only change it if I can come up with a written document or a code saying it is an incorrect installation.

Am I right or do I have egg on my face?

Brad

Click to Enlarge
tn_201291723360_vent.jpg

74.64 KB

Brad,

I'm confused by the photo. Where is the single-walled product? The long smooth section on the bottom on the photo looks like it's an Ameri-Vent (4E12A) telescoping B-vent and the 90 deg. elbow above it is also a B-vent product. Can you label the photo showing the intermediate single-walled section you are concerned with?

A garage is unconditioned space. If they are using an Ameri-Vent single-walled connector in the garage they are wrong because it violates the vent manufacturer's listing and labeling. From the manufacturer's installation manual:

Single-Wall Connector

Usage

Single-wall flexible gas vent connectors connect appliances to double-wall Type B gas vent. AmeriVent gas vent connectors are used with listed gas appliances with drafthoods or other gas appliances listed for use with Type B gas vent. They cannot be used in unconditioned spaces.

Then there is R101.6 Referenced Codes and STandards - where it states:

"Where enforcement of a code provision would violate the conditions of the listing or the equipment or appliance, the conditions of the listing and manufacturer's instructions apply."

Bottom line: if that is not a telescoping B vent, and is an Ameri-vent single walled connector being used in a vent system in a garage, which is unconditioned space, it violates the manufacturer's instructions and is therefore a violation of R101.6.

http://www.americanmetalproducts.com/Li ... .sflb.ashx

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hmm,

It occurs to me that you said that the bottom section is a Dura-Vent product and that the section above that Ameri-vent telescoping B-vent is a Dura-Vent product. That may be what you need there. I don't think the Dura-Vent and Ameri-Vent locking methods are compatible. If not, it violates the product's listing and labeling.

Can anyone verify that the Dura-Vent B-vent product cannot be connected to an Ameri-Vent B-vent product?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You can if you use an adaptors

1. Description. The male and female adaptors

enable an installer to connect Simpson Dura-Vent Bvent

components to an existing Type B gas vent system

manufactured by the following companies: American

Metals Products, Household Mfg, Hart & Cooley Mfg,

Metal Fab, Inc, White Metal Products, Air Jet, Mitchell

Metal Products.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif duravent L204A_apr00.pdf

978.32 KB

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Ameri-vent installaltion.pdf

586.5 KB

Brad,

I'm confused by the photo. Where is the single-walled product? The long smooth section on the bottom on the photo looks like it's an Ameri-Vent (4E12A) telescoping B-vent and the 90 deg. elbow above it is also a B-vent product. Can you label the photo showing the intermediate single-walled section you are concerned with?

A garage is unconditioned space. If they are using an Ameri-Vent single-walled connector in the garage they are wrong because it violates the vent manufacturer's listing and labeling. From the manufacturer's installation manual:

Single-Wall Connector

Usage

Single-wall flexible gas vent connectors connect appliances to double-wall Type B gas vent. AmeriVent gas vent connectors are used with listed gas appliances with drafthoods or other gas appliances listed for use with Type B gas vent. They cannot be used in unconditioned spaces.

Then there is R101.6 Referenced Codes and STandards - where it states:

"Where enforcement of a code provision would violate the conditions of the listing or the equipment or appliance, the conditions of the listing and manufacturer's instructions apply."

Bottom line: if that is not a telescoping B vent, and is an Ameri-vent single walled connector being used in a vent system in a garage, which is unconditioned space, it violates the manufacturer's instructions and is therefore a violation of R101.6.

http://www.americanmetalproducts.com/Li ... .sflb.ashx

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I should have investigated the listing of the telescoping vent section better. Thanks Mike! That is the section I thought was single wall. So the error with this vent is not using the same manufacturer through-out the vent assembly.

So the error with this vent is not using the same manufacturer through-out the vent assembly.

Well,

Phillip has pointed out that there are adapters that allow one to use the Ameri-Vent Product with the Dura-Vent product but I can't make out from that photo if there are adapters there, can you?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I emailed my picture and findings to DuraVent and spoke with technical support services at DuraVent. The installation does not conform with the manufactures instructions for installation of this vent system.

Two options exist to repair this defect as stated by DuraVent technical support; 1) Replace the Ameri-Vent telescoping section with a DuraVent telescoping section or, 2) Install DuraVent male and female adapters to the Ameri-Vent section as Phillip had mentioned. Technical support recommends installing the DuraVent part for the best results.

Now that I have proven my position we shall see what the seller does for repairs. This issue was not huge, but once I reported it I needed to back up my findings when challenged.