streamlight stinger ultra

Chad Fabry

I spent 80 dollars on a Streamlight Stinger Ultra flashlight. It's light, rechargeable and comes with 110v and 12v chargers. It has a nice adjustable beam.

My first bulb lasted 30 minutes, my second bulb lasted an hour or so.

I just ordered 6 bulbs @ 6 bucks each. I'm not very happy right now, but have decided that it was possible I had two defective bulbs from the same bad batch.

Anyone else have this light? it's the 75,000 candle power one that, remarkably, isn't much brighter than my 15,000 candle power maglight that has a bulb life that measures in months or years, not minutes.

Please tell me that it must be a fluke.

Hi Chad,

I personally use an ordinary maglight and keep a bevy of cheap D-cell flashlights available on my vehicle for those times I need an extra light.

Though I don't have one of these Streamlights, I think, based on what I've read on other forums, that the burnt out bulbs might be the result of having touched them. Apparently, you have to absolutely wear a pair of latex gloves when handling these, so as not to get oils from your hands on them or they'll burn out very quickly.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You're right about that Mike, but I'm acutely aware of that fact having handled what probably amounts to thousands of halogen bulbs. Halogen and other pressurized bulbs don't like to be dirty because the glass on the exterior can't cool evenly and the resulting thermal stress causes fractures that let the gas escape and then the bulb burns out. At least that's what the propaganda machine tells me. I've never done my own research.

The flashlight was new ...maybe some irate, itinerant worker touched both my bulbs because he had to work a Saturday.

Chad,

Your light must be a 'Lemon'. I have 3 of these babies; won't leave home without them. The biggest problem I've had is the switch; they breakdown easily. I've sent back 2 lights already (1 unit twice) in 3 years for replacement switches. It only cost me the shipping charges to the factory. I have since learned not to 'click' the switch on, rather I hold it down without switching it on.

I would go call or go online to send it back for repairs, the beam should be no comparison to a Mag light. Before sending it back, try screwing the cover all the way down, it should produce a narrower and more powerful beam.

Darren

My first bulb barely made it through the first inspection before blowing out.

I found a local electrical supply with cheap bulbs, if you can call 5 bucks per bulb free, and they told me not to touch the bulb while putting it in and wiping it down just to make sure no oil from my fingers made contact.

It's been over a year since I put that new bulb in and it's still going strong. BTW, I have the little 45,000 Ultra Mag XT/HP. It beats any mag light I've ever had. The only thing I hate about it is the button is on the tail cap.

Donald

Thanks for the replies, I feel better now.

Chris, I used "Froogle" to shop for my light, it was 77.77 delivered with both chargers. I think it came from a police supply store, I can't remember. Froogle has become one of my primary search engines for price shopping. I found my protimeter surveymaster for 399.00 delivered there also.

Kurt,

I have two of those lights, but they're a million candle power...when you turn them on there's thrust involved. They're heavy and the charge last for less than 25 minutes. Which so far hasn't been a problem because I've only done one inspection and when I got there my client and the seller had hashed out a deal. My services weren't required. Never opened a tool bag. She did give me a check for a hundred for being on time. I think it was really because she wanted me to stop crying and go away.

My Streamlight Ultra is about two years old now and on it's third switch. Fortunately a local dealer takes care of the repairs. The only bulb replacement came when it rolled off the roof and fell 12 feet to a driveway (ouch!). I love it for general use. I had problems with switches on a 500,000 candle power baby I had and finally gave up on it. The Streamlight is not as bright, but does the job. My old 3-cell rechargeable Mag Light now serves back up duty. The Streamlight is brighter and lighter then the Mag Light.

• 4 weeks later...

I own the Streamlight xt/hp 45,000 ft/candles and two 1,000,000 ft/candles handheld spotlights from Home Depot. The Screaming Yellow Monsters were ~$18 on sale and I use them in the crawlspace. Their battery life is about 10-15 minuites and I don't care if I beat them up or get them muddy. The Streamlight is GREAT for the interior and attic observations. I carry mine on a belt pouch, there when I need it and both hands free when I don't. The Big Yellow Monster is brighter by far but I hate lugging it around inside. Too big.

No problems with my Streamside. (knock on wood)

Ron