A little help.

Robert Jones

Afternoon inspection on a home that was originally built 1910 and has since been completely remodeled to include wiring and plumbing. I was told the home was previously used as a duplex.

So my question. The home is now a single family residence, however it still has two meters being fed from a single drop. Is this ok having two meters for one single family residence? There are also two panels(both FPE) which I called for replacement.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121030213555_IMGP2280.jpg

31.8 KB

Two meters are not allowed to be installed on a single family home here unless one service can't meet the needs. Just expand your recommendation a little to include a gutter between a single meter and the two new panels. Each panel should have a main breaker.

Marc

The property owner is likely receiving two bills, while the utility company is getting paid twice. It must be OK with the utility or they would have squawked before now.

For your clients, it would be cheapest go with one meter and one new panel of course. But, maybe someday they will want to split the house again.

Two meters is not unheard of around here, such as where an outbuilding or pumphouse is a long way from the main house. Also, there was a program here where electricity for heating was billed at a lower rate, thus two meters were installed side by side.

Afternoon inspection on a home that was originally built 1910 and has since been completely remodeled to include wiring and plumbing. I was told the home was previously used as a duplex.

So my question. The home is now a single family residence, however it still has two meters being fed from a single drop. Is this ok having two meters for one single family residence? There are also two panels(both FPE) which I called for replacement.

As long as there isn't a financial penalty from the power company, I don't see any technical reason why it should be a problem.