New Water Heater

BlackJack

Here's one I did on the 7/12/05. This was a new townhome install. $379,000 - 2000 Sq. Ft. home. I called it out for visible corrosion on the gas valve housing and enclosure fins and missing the temp. control knob. Drain pipe connection not glued either. Heard today the builder wiped it down with WD-40 and called it good. #@$%^!! Guess $379k doesn't buy what it used to. Client is threating to back out of the deal. Not for just this item, but others.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2005-07-12 10-26-28-x.jpg

63.48 KB

Originally posted by BlackJack

Heard today the builder wiped it down with WD-40 and called it good. #@$%^!! Guess $379k doesn't buy what it used to. Client is threating to back out of the deal. Not for just this item, but others.

Well damn Chuck, do you have any idea what control knobs and PVC glue go for? You're trying to take all of the poor contractor's profits. You must be another one of those crazy / over-zealous / anal / obsessive / arrogant home inspectors. [:D][:-dev3][:D]

Brian G.

All of the Above, Depending on Who You Ask [:-mischie

Originally posted by BlackJack

Im told they left it outside standing in some water, but dont know for sure.

Well they were priming it silly, it's a water heater. [:-slaphap

I love the 13 seer ducts. I think that tops my guy with requirement to tie the condensate into the plumbing vents above 3 1/2 tons.

Brian G.

It's an Epidemic...Contractor Idiotosis [:-dunce]

Originally posted by homnspector

Everybody knows 13 seer ducts are not compatible with a 10 seer unit[:-bigmout[:-bigmout[:-bigmout

Speaking of water heater age, can anybody tell me how to determine the age of a Bradford White water heater? They are common here and I cant find it coded into the serial #.

Download Attachment: icon_word.gif BradfordWhiteDateCodes.doc

20.44 KB

I can't say as to the history. I do know they had to install a new igniter just to get it to light. No, it had no neg. drafts, straight up and out. Here is how I had to caculate combustion air.

Here is the formula I used to calculate the combustion air for the water heater where it is located in a mech. room with door closed, and 12 foot of Hardi-soffit being the only visiable source of conbustion air.

=PI()*((((13/64)/2)^2)*188)*12)

12 = Number of feet of Hardi-Soffit

188 = Number of 13/64 inch holes drilled in 1 Sq. Ft. of Hardi-Soffit

13/64 = Diameter of hole (Radius is 1/2)

Answer = 73.10646 Sq. Inches. of combustion air available.

40,000 BTU Water Heater requires 10 Sq. Inches

(1 Sq. In per 4,000 BTU)

Don't know if this is correct, but it was a high enough number, that I felt safe.

Without knowing the size room, it is hard to follow you, but my reading of IRC2000 M1703 says inch per 4000 btu is for use with "vertical ducts".

If it's pulling from soffit vents to floor level I'd say it maight be a stretch.

Maybe that heater is a survivor of a flooded warehouse sale.

For $190 a SF I'd expect better in a new house.

Here is a picture of the Mech. Room. I would say its about 10x8 or so, but the heater sits down about 18" from the walk leading up to it. Very little workspace in front. So you have no room to observe the flame. Texas is becomming a place where the new home builder can never be held accountable for anything not identified on the walk thru.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2005-07-12 11-57-02-a.jpg

278.74 KB

I'd put a grille down low in the door to this "penthouse". This looks like confined space if ever there was one. In confined space the code wants air sources both high and low. This location, howver, doesn't look like it's going to kill anybody by oxygen starvation.

Wonder why the "B" vent stands so tall? Looks like it needs guy wires.