Condensation on the inside of the double pane

JoshuaF

I have a issue with the windows in the bedroom. Condensation is building up when its cold outside and warm inside. The amount water on the windows on a cold New England morning is crazy. We have to wipe all the windows down and run fans and get the humidity out of the room and everywhere else. Some condensation in the living room and spare bedroom. Main focus is the bedroom because that's where most of the water is coming from. I might add that the foundation is made from cinder blocks from the 50's so I don't know if that has any bearing on the issue.

I would like to know what is the issue and how can I fix it.

Thank you

You need to locate the source of humidity and remove or manage it. Turn off the humidifier-you clearly don't need to add any more moisture to the air. Stop using any unvented gas heaters. Relocate the aquarium. Make the dog sleep in another room. Turn down the heat-cooler air is drier air, even a few degrees will make a difference. Check out the furnace and water heater and make sure the vents are connected. Run the bath fan when you shower and leave it on for at least 20-30 minutes after you are done, there are timers that will do this for you. If you have heavy thermal drapes over the windows open them during the day.

There are literally hundreds of other similarly simple solutions. Keep trying until you find the one that works for you.

Lastly, there are dozens of varieties of 'double pane' glass. They range in energy efficiency from a Hummer to a Prius. If yours are closer to the Hummer variety, there will be condensation on them from time to time. That's just how it goes.

My mistake. I have a dehumidifier. Should I bring that one into the room (where the issue is the most trouble) for the night into the morning and see if that helps? I did not have this issue in the summer. It just started when it got cold out.

Do you have fan forced heat? Space heaters? Gas? Electric?

A dehumidifier can't hurt but Tom pointed out it could be many many things or combination of things that are causing it. It is just one of those things that when you have a cold surface and introduce a warmer component you will have condensation. Think about your car and how the windows fog until everything equalizes temperature wise. The same happens with your home.

As Tom said you need to locate the source of the humidity; stop it at the source is better then trying to remove it once it is already there. It could be a potentially serious issue such as improper venting of a gas appliance (furnace, water heater, etc) or not so serious such as just not running the bathroom fan during / after a hot shower.

Thank you guys!! I used a dehumidifier over night. In the morning the windows were clear and I just shut if off when I leave for work. I guess the house is seal up tight and it gets humid from the wet towels, coffee maker, dishwasher from the night before, showers in the morning. All that can cause some humidity that I was unaware of. Thanks again for all your help guys!!! Rock on!!