Panel Removal and Put Back Time

Mike Lamb

The only crack in this basement's foundation runs behind the electrical panel. Unfortunately, the basement floor is about 7 1/2 feet below grade so sealing this from the inside is probably going to be the best option.

This panel also had no air gap between it and the foundation so I am going to recommend at least a quarter inch of space be added. I believe that is the minimum requirement.

How long might an competent electrician take to remove the panel and then replace it after the water proofing is done?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20133214025_059a.jpg

28.57?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20133214318_052.jpg

41.01 KB

The 1/4" gap is built into the panel. They have raised bumps to provide the gap.

I know but I rarely see it as being effective. It's usually 1/16" maybe. The holes that are supposed to be used are often not (like with this panel) and the back of the box gets crushed against the foundation. I don't agree with the 1/4" gap rule anyway. Separation bars 1/2"+ or plywood is the way to go IMO.

With all the conduits going straight up from the top of the panel, I'd have it off within a half-hour. Back on probably within an hour. It's a piece of cake. Charge two hours, permit cost, service call fee and any upgrades needed to pass code inspection.

Marc