. . . High mold spore count CAN make people sick sometimes. Kinda difficult to know where to draw the line sometimes. I'd rather err on the side of caution. . .

There's abundant evidence that people can have allergic reactions to mold.

There's abundant evidence that people who have problems with their immune system can be infected by mold.

There's abundant evidence that people can have toxic reactions after ingesting mold.

There's no evidence (that I can find) to back up the assertion that breathing mold, spores, or VOCs from mold in a residential setting can cause any toxic reactions in healthy people. If you know of such evidence, please direct me to it.

Find the worst moldy house that you can, pay my standard fee, and I'll be happy to live in it for a month and walk out as healthy as I walked in.

I don't buy the argument that exposure to elevated mold spore does not affect the health of a person who is initially healthy.

Marc

Why can't any credible studies prove this? I need to know before I can ever recommend mold testing.

Without any medical science to back this assertion up you are merely falling into a fashionable explanation for a medically unexplained illness.

I don't think any objective HI should be doing this.

We here in Washington live in spore central. It never gets too hot for mold here and it rarely gets cold enough here to send it into stasis - it thrives here and grows 24/7/365.

Why isn't everyone in this state wearing an oxygen bottle and breathing through one of those little rubber masks?

Why aren't the childrens hospitals here filled up with kids living in bubbles?

Why is it that I can go into a poor neighborhood, do an inspection on a beater and find a family living with mold surrounding them and when I ask how everyong is doing and do any of them have any sinus problem, headaches, body aches, allergies, etc., most of the time they say they are fine?

Why is it that I can go into a well-to-do neighborhood and find some mildew stains on some caulk and the buyers freak out and want to know if the home is "infested with mold." Today I explained all of this to a lady client and then said something like, "I bet I could go to your home right now, take samples, send them to a lab and that home will have as much mold as this home - perhaps more because there is someone living there. Face it, mold is all around us, it's on your clothes, in your hair, stuck to your eyeballs and in your lungs. Got a baby at home - that baby is covered with mold spore. Don't believe me, ask your doctor. If he knows his butt from his elbow he'll tell you I'm right." She thanked me as she shuddered and brushed off the sleeve of her coat and I feigned being choked by the mold she'd dusted toward me.

Get real people - the stuff was around before we arrived on the planet. If it were so bad how the hell did we manage to populate the planet?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

. . . High mold spore count CAN make people sick sometimes. Kinda difficult to know where to draw the line sometimes. I'd rather err on the side of caution. . .

There's abundant evidence that people who have problems with their immune system can be infected by mold.

There's abundant evidence that people can have toxic reactions after ingesting mold.

There's no evidence (that I can find) to back up the assertion that breathing mold, spores, or VOCs from mold in a residential setting can cause any toxic reactions in healthy people. If you know of such evidence, please direct me to it.

Find the worst moldy house that you can, pay my standard fee, and I'll be happy to live in it for a month and walk out as healthy as I walked in.

This would be a yummy home in which to spend a month.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013311233858_Mold%20002.jpg

60.88 KB

This would be a yummy home in which to spend a month.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013311233858_Mold%20002.jpg

60.88?KB

Looks kinda like the basement apartment in that triplex I inspected on Sunday.

Some guy and his teenage daughter living there. She was in her room doing homework and he was kicked back in front of the telly watching football when I came through.

Leaking stop valve under the toilet. Floor wet as hell. All humid and every window closed up tighter than a gnat's ass.

Says he's lived there 8 years; there was so much crap in the heaters that it looked like nobody had blown them out in 8 years. Told him one looked like a fire waiting to happen and explained that the front should be taken off of those and they should be blown out twice a year. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "It ain't my job to clean those things out," and went back to watching the game - whatever it was.

Looking out a window - that ain't black paint....

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013311235338_110_0310_00001.jpg

41.69 KB

The "smoke 'em if you got 'em" heater....

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013311235633_110_0310_00002.jpg

47.7 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike