Has to be wrong and wrong, right?

Duplex, one 200 amp service entrance, the other 100 amp.

Both service disconect bonded together. That can't be right, right?

Oh by the way, yes on the 3rd and 4th pic. those are hanging live wires. I almost craped my pants when I saw that.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013714134726_IMGP1214.jpg

78.13 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013714134754_IMGP1213.jpg

54.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013714134817_IMGP1208.jpg

90.31 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013714134839_IMGP1207.jpg

87.9 KB

That appears to be a neutral conductor that he has spliced onto. The splice, even if it was allowed, needs to be in a service panel. It's a shock hazard as is.

It is wrong for the hots to come from one location, probably the meter, and the neutral to come from somewhere else. The black conductor needs to be marked with white paint or tape.

My guess would be that the house was originally one unit and the second panel was added without a proper permit.

Not satisfied with that faulty arrangement, somebody decided to splice in a 240 v tap and then left live conductors dangling??? Stephen, is there a lot of inbreeding in your town? You seem to get more that your share of crap like that. Any grow-op evidence?

Actually, what looks like a spliced neutral conductor is actually the grounding electrode conductor. That so called electrician must have bonded the 2 disconects together thinking that this would provide proper grounding to the second system. By doing so, he merged a 200 amp service to a 100 amp. making this a very dengerous situation imo.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201371514258_IMGP1191.jpg

50.64 KB

Thanks, Stephen. I called that added black cable a neutral because it has to act like one for the the 100 amp panel. There is no other neutral conductor visible there.

I have no beef with fused disconnects, so I would tell my clients that the 200 amp side might not need repair at all, but the added disconnect needs immediate repair for safety.

Folks, use your voltage sniffer before touching the panel cover. I should make that a habit, too. [:)]