Formosan Termites

For those who have never seen formosan termites, I have included a couple of photos of some I discovered yesterday. Although rare in this area, this is the fifth discovery in this area in the past 6 years, all within 1 square mile.

Notice there are no workers, only the soldiers positioned to defend the colony.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014423112243_DSC_0222%20copy.jpg

19.05 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014423112344_DSC_0220%20copy.jpg

29.46 KB

Cool pics. Why are they moving north? Global temperature anomalies?

There are many theories, my best guess is we live in a very mobile and transient society. We have treated many boats (75 to 150 ft) that have sailed from the tropics and several rail cars from all over. There are 3 major sea ports near here as well as a very large Army base. That means lots of materials being shipped in and out of here. Same thing is happening in Charleston, SC. I guess that once they got here, they simply found a good home to multiply.

Like Fire Ants marching north! When we moved to the Nashville area almost eight years ago we did not have fire ants in the area. You had to go about 100 mile south to find them. Now we are seeing them pop up around the area. They have slowly moved up from the south.

Check out this cool video.

• 5 years later...

On 4/24/2014 at 4:20 PM, ghentjr said:

Check out this cool video.

Hello, 

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful video with us. Termite many holes find this method  I really appreciate to you but I don't know which chemical you're using so, please deeply details share with us. Otherwise, termite making holes at home an idea so can related video share with us. Otherwise, the company services you're remembered for example termite control, termite inspection cost, spider control, rat control,  etc. so you can suggest to me. 

• 3 weeks later...