Slickety-slick tile floors

randynavarro

Originally posted by randynavarro

Is there a printed standard or rule discussing the hazards of using a glazed or some type of 'slick' tile on bathroom floors?

I've wondered about that a time or two myself, as well as other wet locations, but I'm not aware of any standards about it. Maybe in the insurance industry somewhere?

Brian G.

Personal Southernism: "Slicker Than Owl S**t on an Oak Limb" (Originated from childhood experience)

Is there a printed standard or rule discussing the hazards of using a glazed or some type of 'slick' tile on bathroom floors?

Randy

The slick ones are usually wall tiles. They're not intended for use on floors. Not only are they slick, they're not very strong either.

I have no reference. Try the ASTM site.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There are standards set by the Tile Council of America (TCA).

The local adopted Building Code will probably have a chapter on Accessibility which may direct the reader to CABO/ANSI 117.1. The IRC may as well.

CABO/ANSI 117.1 has a section on ground and floor surfaces.

I'd look at these three. The TCA would definitely apply but only as an industry standard, not an enforced code.

A

Randy

there are ANSI standards for floor tile. You would have to look at the manufacturer's literature to determine whether or not the tile meets those standards. It will say suitable for use on floors, or suitable for use on walls, or something along those lines.