Industrious Eastern Subterranean Termites

This is by far the highest infestation I've ever seen. This roof structure is about 70 feet above grade.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141110203644_P1100901.jpg

44.69 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141110203850_P1100897.jpg

44.04 KB

Bill,

Could you tell if it was an active infestation or not?

Do you have any idea if they were sustaining in wet wood in the upper structure and had no actual ground contact?

Could you see a path of them between that upper structure and the ground?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm interested in unusual situations since I actually do WDI inspections.

Could you tell if it was an active infestation or not?

Do you have any idea if they were sustaining in wet wood in the upper structure and had no actual ground contact?

I don't do WDI so I don't make the active/inactive call. There were plugged drill holes in the impervious surfaces around the building. There was plenty of damage in the basements and crawlspaces. Repairs were inadequate/incomplete. Tubes were only randomly scraped.

I don't know if soil treatment was the only application. I would guess that infestation that high above grade would have colonies established well up in the building.

Plenty of evidence of long term leaks. Most areas seemed fairly dry right now, except a large tower platform that had extensive damage. Mud seemed really moist in that area.

Could you see a path of them between that upper structure and the ground?
The exterior walls are constructed of granite and cast stone. All the wood floor structures, platforms and the roof structure are entirely supported by the stone walls.

The interior of the stone walls have plaster on expanded wire lathe attached to wood furring strips. I'm quite sure the furring strips were the path for them to ascend to the rafter sills and then into the roof structure