Mycroft (Katen)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has written a number of books on a wide range of topics, and his first novel will soon be published. It seems that since his early years in the NBA, he has been a Sherlock Holmes buff, and his novel is about Sherlock's brother Mycroft.

I had no idea that he was an author. Is he a good writer?

Kareem's first book is no longer listed on Amazon. It was about Anatolian carpets, a topic on which he is an expert. He has written books on several topics, including an autobiographical work, "Giant Steps" - the title being an homage to John Coltrane, whose groundbreaking album of the same name is a favorite of Kareem's. I read his "Black Profiles in Courage" and learned a lot from it, though at times it felt like it was intended for an adolescent audience. He's also written about the time he spent with an Apache tribe, another book about black inventors, and another book called Brothers in Arms, about an African American tank battalion in WWII.

Not sure if I will read the Mycroft book - I would love to see Kareem write a book about jazz.