GFCI outlet and the microwave.

Robert Jones

I've never seen a GFCI receptacle fail that way, but it seems that it can.

I had previously thought that only a solid connection exists between the output connections at the back of the GFCI device and the blade receptors (proper term?) of the device itself.

Marc

Like Tom said it could be wiring or it could be a faulty GFCI. I've never pulled one to see.

Who's Tom?

Tony is correct, feed wires on load terminals. It's very common, even though the manufacturers instructions and the sticker on the GFCI terminals tell you how to install the wires.

Bill, you assume that the "electrician" knows which wires are line and which are load. I can't count how many times I have seen this.

I thought that the latest standard for GFCIs requires that they will not reset when tripped if line/load are reversed?

Like Tom said it could be wiring or it could be a faulty GFCI. I've never pulled one to see.

Who's Tom?

Tony is correct, feed wires on load terminals. It's very common, even though the manufacturers instructions and the sticker on the GFCI terminals tell you how to install the wires.

I fully agree.

Thing is, I don't think that GFI is/was new. Older GFIs did not have the sticker, nor do all new ones. Also, newer GFIs will not work/reset if wired wrong. This was a smart change by the manufacturers IMO.

I have to say, if that micro is simply a counter top unit sitting on a shelf, this has to be one of the stupidest, yet unfortunately legal, installations I have seen in a while.

• 2 weeks later...