Green wire re-identified as CCC

Chad Fabry

I left my NEC at the school, hopefully someone will chime in.

8AWG Green insulated wire serving as a current carrying conductor. The ends at the breaker have been taped with black tape to re-identify the green wire as a CCC.

The two CCC's disappear into a conduit along with a green ground wire of the same size and type.

I googled around and couldn't find anything that prohibits the practice.

I don't like the way it's done and I think it adds an element of unnecessary danger to an already bad installation, but my statements need to be completely defensible. In other words, what I think doesn't matter.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016816215755_P1100269%20(Medium).jpg

41.26 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016816215821_P1100272%20(Medium).jpg

47.91 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201681622433_P1100270%20(Medium).jpg

52.26 KB

Only the white insulated wires can be re-identified as ungrounded conductors when part of a cable. Not permitted in conduit.

Wires with green insulation can not be used for ungrounded or grounded conductors.

Finally, 250.119

...Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

Marc

Also there is the section that conductors smaller than #4 are too small to reidentify. Wrong for two reasons.

Wait..... We can't re-identify wires smaller than #4? Meaning, no branch circuit conductors?

In conduit, yes, I know. We're all conduit here. But no re-identifying cable wires?

Also there is the section that conductors smaller than #4 are too small to reidentify. Wrong for two reasons.

Wait..... We can't re-identify wires smaller than #4? Meaning, no branch circuit conductors?

In conduit, yes, I know. We're all conduit here. But no re-identifying cable wires?

Only whites in a 240 circuit or as a hot in a switch loop when cable is used. If conduit or raceway is used they need to be the correct colors unless #4 or larger. #4 and larger are all black so tape or paint is needed.