utility service pvc stub up

willf2900

The attached photo shows a Duke Energy underground service installation. The sweep exits grade 0ne foot from foundation and to the wall with 2 @45 degree fittings.

The reason they said was due to the underground footing. I asked them to bury the sweep one foot lower and reinstall the 45 bends below grade.

I think as presently installed it will be subject to physical damage from mowers and possibly vehicles since it is next to parking pad. Not sure if an expansion fitting is required by code either .

Any help on this?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif pvc lot 15.jpg

138.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2017113114348_pvc%20lot%2015.jpg

84.57 KB

How come no sleeved conduit to accommodate movement/settlement?

I don't know, but I suppose it's because settlement is rarely a problem for the conduit. They do require a sleeve around the conduit where it passes through a concrete slab or pavement - but no one ever installs it.

Interestingly, I find such settlement problems in bunches. I'll go years without seeing it and then find 3 or 4 houses in a row with cracked or distorted conduits or conduit fittings.

In our area everything on the supply side of that meter box is the utility's turf, and all installation approvals are up to them.

It's the same here, but why should that make a difference to a home inspector? The potential problems in the original post are real and there'll never be a better time to fix them.

The installer in the OP turned away from the building before he got to grade. Looks like a case of how much pipe was on hand that day.

In our area the utility refuses to connect to listed disco/meter bases that have too narrow a tray on the left hand side, citing setttlements and resulting too tight bends.

I wonder if the OP had yet been approved by utility.

In our area everything on the supply side of that meter box is the utility's turf, and all installation approvals are up to them.

It's the same here, but why should that make a difference to a home inspector? The potential problems in the original post are real and there'll never be a better time to fix them.

• 2 weeks later...