return flaps

Jim Baird

Always fun looking at the older systems, no?

See photo of "pullchain operated" return register, baseboard mounted and really dust-choked.

Wondering why an occupant would want to control return this way. Typical room had return and supply, both baseboard mounted, opposing each other across the width.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201739185419_P3090116.jpg

47.94 KB

many moons ago on a distant planet design criteria was minimal

therefore many owners "wanted to control" the amount of returned/conditioned air taken/delivered to each room...deception rules

now with all of the manual rs, j, s, d , t, b, zr, ansi/acaa many sys are on auto-snafu & the levered grills deceive no better

That grill was probably designed to go on the heating duct, but wound up where it is for unknown reasons.

We have seen some oddball heating systems, eh?

I recall a house with no ducts, just grills open to the crawlspace, and an electric furnace blasting heat straight down.

As I recall, the realtor blackballed me for questioning the design efficiency. [8D]

That grill was probably designed to go on the heating duct, but wound up where it is for unknown reasons.

We have seen some oddball heating systems, eh?

I recall a house with no ducts, just grills open to the crawlspace, and an electric furnace blasting heat straight down.

As I recall, the realtor blackballed me for questioning the design efficiency. [8D]

I may be wrong (at my age it is not unusual, just ask my wife) but I think a bunch of houses like that were built for military housing and one of these "crawlspace plenums" killed some folks when an exterminator treated the crawl for termites. But not sure about the placement of the furnace.