Plywood used for fire separation

I'm getting some push back on an issue and I'm looking for some clarification.  

I called out the use of plywood for fire separation between the garage and living space in this home. The home is a drive under with a living area above the garage. The real estate agent is claiming she had a conversation with the building inspector and the use of plywood for fire separation falls under the 2000 code IRC r309.2. Home was built in 2003. I don't read it that way. I'm not exactly sure what the word "equivalent" means in the code though. 

I'm aware that there's some FRT plywood that is fire resistant, but it must be labeled if used. I can't ever recall seeing FRT plywood used at a garage ceiling though. Could "equivalent" mean the use of a different type of fire rated building material such as FRT plywood? 

P6022846.JPG

Edited by palmettoinspect

FRT plywood costs about 3 times as much as drywall. People don't use it unless they need the fire resistance and the structural properties that come with it. I'd also guess that it's only 1/4" thick. 

You gave your opinion. I see no need for you to change it. 

• Like 1

The 2000 IRC does say 'equivalent' when applied to the ceiling but it doesn't say that FRT is an equivalent.  Your word should stand until the agent has docs saying otherwise and proof that the stuff installed is actually FRT plywood.  Hearsay doesn't get much regard from me.

• Like 1

Since the agent is such an expert just suggest that the real estate agent provide the specifications for the plywood and the UL rating of the ceiling assembly. Alternately you could ask for her to provide written documentation from the local inspector that the installation was approved. I suspect neither will be forthcoming. You are right to question it, that is your job.

20 minutes ago, Steven Hockstein said:

Since the agent is such an expert just suggest that the real estate agent provide the specifications for the plywood and the UL rating of the ceiling assembly. Alternately you could ask for her to provide written documentation from the local inspector that the installation was approved. I suspect neither will be forthcoming. You are right to question it, that is your job.

Steven,

That's exactly what I did and never received a response! Go figure.