Concrete slab smash !

excalibur

Ok guys . I have detected in one of my building inspection , today, that the concrete slab , of the building basement had a distance of 3 inches 1/2 with the foundation walls. Granular capillary was observed with a good amount of high humidity level and the presence of pluvial water contact.I told my client that this situation was not proper to building code. That this high risk oh humdity could bring important problems to the interior finished walls and components. Soil gaz could infiltrate the living space and bring some important health problems. Another **amazing home agent**[:-bigeyes called his contractor and he told me that this situation was normal ,that in this area it is a common thing to do . Regardless what he said , i told my client that concrete slab should have a soil gaz barrier and continuous around edge of slab , be in contact with the concrete walls and be sealed to wall with flexible sealant. What i would like to know is ....anyone out there have seen this situation and if yes , what do you think about it ? Thanks .. Sorry for the mistakes ...P.S. The mold picture is one of the basement wall that was covered with gyps and should have the same concrete slab installation.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif concrete slab space 1.jpg

79.73 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif concrete slabe space 2.jpg

71.46 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif concrete slab space 3.jpg

68.04 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif great molds.jpg

57.58 KB

Download Attachment: icon_word.gif soil gaz barrier.doc

54.76 KB

Around here (Northern NJ) we have a 'floating' slab; the gap between the slab & wall is about 1 inch. One of the reasons for the gap is if there is water entry thru the wall; it usually does not reach the slab, it will get caught in the gap and (hopefully) run to the sump.

If a high level of radon is found, they fill the gap with a backer rod & caulk.

In your case, the first problem is the wood forms are still in place. After removing the forms, your gonna have 4 1/2 inch gap.

The good news is if they put a french drain in, there's less concrete to take out of the basement.

Darren

I've never seen floating slabs in my area.

Wood forms and moisture = termites

Spaces between floor and wall could admit

critters and radon

Remove form tie (rod)--trip and scrape hazard

Indoor air quality issues (mold)is refered out[:-banghea

Jack Ahern Needham on the Charles

Bridgton,Maine

Sorry for the mistakes guys but i'm trying .. i'm french . This building was constructed in 1995 . I have called the city inspector and they told me that they've nerver heard of this type of installation. They seemed worried when i told them that the building contractor made multiple home like this one in the neighbourhood.

Scott granular capillary is a break and drainage pad under the entire foundation slab. ( break and drainage/barrier)Thanks Terry for the tips on the english correction !