Why I'm walking more roofs lately....

DonTx

Originally posted by Bain

"Couldn't see from the ground" stuff from this morning's gig. And if you're wondering why the ridge shingles don't match the others, I haven't a clue.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC02457.JPG

616.23 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC02459.JPG

601.61 KB

Those ridge cap shingles look a tad newer than the other shingles... may have added a ridge vent after the build...

Originally posted by Bain

"Couldn't see from the ground" stuff from this morning's gig. And if you're wondering why the ridge shingles don't match the others, I haven't a clue.

Artistic expression!

I've seen a few of them done that way, normally it's a darker shade than the other shingles. Apprently it's suppose to be cool and trendy in some neighborhoods.

I hear you guys on the "walking the roof" issue, I just have troubles with falling. If the roof pitch is too great, or if we have snow or ice I usually taks a pass.

God only knows, we go out to inspections when we may not be at our best physically and somtimes I even find myself going (to keep my family fed) when I'm on anti-biotics and have no right what so ever to be on a ladder, much less a roof.[:-boggled

As I have also succumbed to self [:-bigeyes guilt, I decided to go out one day to Bass Pro Shop and Pick myself up the biggest binoculars that $300.00 could get me. I have a huge pair of Nikon 16 X 50 power/commando binoculars with all the trimmings, including cross chest sliding harness.

It gives me a FOV of 170ft. @ 1000yards So if I'm at 50 yards away from the house, It's As though I'm looking through a microscope at the granular make up of the shingles. So, Although I may not see the backside of a pluming vent or any perticular penetration, I do get a fairly accurate account of whats happening with the roof.

As far as the tree in such close proximaty to the home, that should be a red flag, right off the batt,not only potential roof damage, but to be cautious when entering the attic, as little furry creatures are probably living with the current occupants.

Brad

• 5 years later...

As cut up as most of the roofs around here can be it's near impossible to a decent inspection without walking. I do have a 10/12 pitch tomorrow I'll pass on though. And I'll leave feeling like I did a sub-standard job knowing I did the smart thing by not walking it. I really hate half assing an inspection!

• 2 weeks later...

My son got a pair of image stabilized binoculars as a graduation present last spring. Fuji I believe. Holy carp do they make it easy to look at something. Try them out sometime. I walk roofs all the time so would not buy them for that, plus I make no money. But they are way better than standard binos.

Well Bob, I'd rather crawl! I hate heights!

I don't walk every roof, however, if I can't see the entire roof from the ground, I start getting worried.

Take for example this 1 year old roof, I couldn't see one side and then I found two fresh cut tree stumps on the side I couldn't see.

So up I went.....

Needless to say, I felt I'd done my job!!

Were the Raccoons still living in the chimney? (I saw the candy bars) I carried a 28' ladder. I walked every roof I could reach. One very cold Feb day, the wind was blowing, it was below nothing, it had snowed the night before and I decided that I was going to blow off and just report the roof to be ok. After all, it was a two year old house with no signs of leakage inside. Wrong. I paid for a new roof.

My son got a pair of image stabilized binoculars as a graduation present last spring. Fuji I believe. Holy carp do they make it easy to look at something. Try them out sometime. I walk roofs all the time so would not buy them for that, plus I make no money. But they are way better than standard binos.

I'm waiting for the ones that can see around corners.

. . . One very cold Feb day, the wind was blowing, it was below nothing, it had snowed the night before and I decided that I was going to blow off and just report the roof to be ok. After all, it was a two year old house with no signs of leakage inside. Wrong. I paid for a new roof.

Sounds like a report-writing problem, not a roof walking problem.

I say you made the right call, regardless.

Let's take a moment and look at one alternate reality. Rewind the tape to that day: Here's John, wondering whether or not to go on the roof. This time, he decides to go for it. He steps onto the roof, slips, falls, & spends the rest of his life paralyzed from the neck down.

If he does the roof last, slips and falls at the end of his inspection, grabs the gutter on the way down, and ends up paralized from the waist down, he could still write the report and his clients would be thankful.

Would I have to charge "half" price?

I guess I am old enough not to be too shy about my early deeds. On one of my earliest inspections ever it was very windy. I was gung-ho and tied my ladder to the front gutter. I used my belt. Yes, the wind took the ladder and the gutter while I was on the roof. Fortunately, I was able to drop from the gable end to the garage roof, then down to the ground. When the realtor and client showed up they were in awe that I went that far to do the inspection.

If he does the roof last, slips and falls at the end of his inspection, grabs the gutter on the way down, and ends up paralized from the waist down, he could still write the report and his clients would be thankful.

Would I have to charge "half" price?

I guess I am old enough not to be too shy about my early deeds. On one of my earliest inspections ever it was very windy. I was gung-ho and tied my ladder to the front gutter. I used my belt. Yes, the wind took the ladder and the gutter while I was on the roof. Fortunately, I was able to drop from the gable end to the garage roof, then down to the ground. When the realtor and client showed up they were in awe that I went that far to do the inspection.

Though I imagine that having your pants drooped down around your knees lessened the effect somewhat.