Biggest one I've ever seen

CHI

I actually had to do a little research to confirm my suspicions. There were several dead bees/wasps...I didn't get too close to check.

After some research this was indeed a wasps nest.

Has anyone seen 'em this big?

Oh yeah, I mentioned the insulation, or lack thereof!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif wasps nest.jpg

151.41 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Wasps nest 2.JPG

177.92 KB

Originally posted by CHI

I actually had to do a little research to confirm my suspicions. There were several dead bees/wasps...I didn't get too close to check.

After some research this was indeed a wasps nest.

Has anyone seen 'em this big?

Oh yeah, I mentioned the insulation, or lack thereof!

Sure. Yellowjackets. Bad characters.

That's a large nest, but not all that unusual.

They seem to like my property. One year I decided to wage war against them. After some serious hunting, I found 5 underground nests. Killed 'em all and dug them up. The smallest was about as big as a basketball, the largest was about as big as the one in your picture.

The loss of these five nests didn't make a dent in the yellowjacket population. By late August, the suckers were so thick, that walking across the yard was like wading through a sea of the damn things.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Sure, thats mild. I've got a house I'm in process remodeling and have already found 5 such nests in the walls. I still have two rooms to gut so I'm sure I will probably find at least one more. I think they moved on after I had put on vinyl siding over the old siding 10-12 years ago. Ruined their entry points. The one in the attic must be at least two foot in diameter.

DM

I opened a fireplace damper a couple winters past and about 2 gallons of dormant wasps fell out of the flue. As soon as they warmed up they started moving. I showed them to the buyer and Realtor and told them we had to get out of the house. We all went outside (quickly) and looked in the window and they were swarming. I told the Realtor to call an exterminator to get rid of them. Two days later I went back and finished the job.

Paul Burrell