Name for windows that also serve as doors

I inspected a 5K SF sugar plantation house yesterday that was built in 1903. It was floated on a barge from Plaquemine, LA to St.Louis to be in the World's Fair, then brought back and sold in the same town.

This house has windows with a feature I've see many times but never had a name for them. They're about 9 or 10 feet high (front elevation only). The lower jamb is at floor level and the lower sash opens high enough that a person can enter almost as easily as an entrance door. Anyone have a name for that?

Thanks. It's for the report.

Cover.JPG

Edited by Marc

Up here, either a single sash or both sashes slide up into a pocket until there's enough head clearance.  The old more commonly used terms used were sliphead or boxhead windows.  Another name occasionally used was jib window.   Some folks never noticed the pockets until I point it out.

That's a nice home Marc, if it gets a little love and $$$.

13 hours ago, Bill Kibbel said:

Up here, either a single sash or both sashes slide up into a pocket until there's enough head clearance.  The old more commonly used terms used were sliphead or boxhead windows.  Another name occasionally used was jib window.   Some folks never noticed the pockets until I point it out.

That's a nice home Marc, if it gets a little love and $$$.

Thanks Bill.

That's pretty much how my summary went:

This was once a magnificent and beautiful house.  Like many such plantation houses I’ve seen, it has fallen victim to ‘deferred maintenance’ and now teeters on the brink of doom. It is not too late to repair it. Its framing still stands as it once did, waiting for the right person to come along and love it.

Edited by Marc