heat and hot water

dbalcom

[?]Hi. I've got a question. a found a cheapy heating system using an 82 gallon hot water heater as a source. nothing new there. but it also supplied domestic hot water to the house. I can't find any written advice to the contrary but my gut says this is not right. optinions appreciated. code is even better. thanks. dave from CT.

Hi,

You should dump the notion that using hot water heaters to heat a house is a 'cheapy' system. It's done all the time around here and some of these systems cost more than a conventional forced hot air system to install. The only thing cheap about them is the savings on heating cost.

If the system was specifically designed to do double-duty by someone who knew what he/she was doing, it's probably fine. You do have to learn the differences between good installs and bad though. Look in the Free-Downloads forum. I just added a couple of links to training programs where you can learn the difference between good systems and bad.

In the meantime, click the link below for a .pdf article from JLC about using hot water heaters for domestic heat.

Ya gotta keep an open mind in this business.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif HotWaterHeatersForHeat.pdf

367.52 KB

I agree completely. The only folks that think water heaters are "wrong" for hydronic heating systems are the boiler mfg's.

I've installed a few of these, & they work fine; it's a water jacket, a combustion chamber, & some operating controls. Doesn't matter if it's cast iron, sheet metal, or copper tubing (or ceramic, if you know the Euro stuff).

Yep...I'm seeing a lot of them, especially in new or newish townhomes, feeding fan driven wall convectors. Usually only a 50-gallon, albeit high BTU, heater run at higher temperatures with a tempering valve for the potable water. Some homes have a "blown" gas fireplace for additional heat...some not. Aside from no air filtration, they seem like a good, zoned system for a well insulated home. Running the PEX to the heaters is no doubt simpler than forced air ductwork, but the wall convectors obviously cost a lot more than simple floor registers. I wouldn't call it "cheapy" either.