Same day or following day...

After someone is done showing folks & talking, what's the product to record what you showed & talked about? It's the only record of what we did, what we said, & what we recommended. It's kinda important that the record be accurate.

And, the last thing I wanna see, write, or listen to is the long boring narrative inspection report. This isn't about length; it's about information relay.

So, how the heck would one convey all the information one should know about maintaining a steam boiler? One could check "Maintenance Item" box, or, they might have within them to clack out a quick paragraph telling the customer what they really do need to know.

That's just one example; I could come up w/several dozen more. How's one get the info across with a check box & an incomplete sentence? How?

I never said I rely upon a check box and incomplete sentence. It isn't a simple matter of either/or. And everything I do and say is well documented. But maybe it's time to merely agree to disagree, as the old cliche goes.

As for maintaining a steam boiler, you should be careful with dispensing that kind of advice. One misunderstanding by the customer or one tiny omission by you, and something awful could happen. You don't want to have to respond to, "But Mr. Mitenbuler said all I had to do was . . . and the damn thing exploded."

After the inspection, I dictate (I talks better than I rites) the entire report into a digital recorder and e-mail it to a typist. I get the report the next day, review it and e-mail it to the client.

I get to visit with hundreds of HIs each year at numerous seminars and where this topic is going is a fairly common discussion. Anyone who has heard me speak knows that I am favorably disposed toward detailed, fully narrative reports that are individually unique to the property inspected. If you can provide that onsite, after a thorough inspection, before the sellers come home and cook dinner, I’d be impressed. Do more than 1 a day and provide the above and I’d be absolutely amazed.

I have a theory that 2 distinct beliefs have evolved amongst HIs about the importance of the report.

Some of the comments that I have heard from Camp A:

“I do such a great inspection and explain things so thoroughly that a detailed report isn’t necessary.â€

700 perr year is corect although it is declining. (I'm moving into semi retirement.)

My reporting system took 2.5 years to develop and is really a hybrid. Through checking boxes, complete statements are created.

I respect everyone on TIJ and know that we are all successful professionals with great track records.

The single word used daily to describe me is "thorough". I tend find what others didn't and don't miss much.

I know I'm a dying breed, but it obviously can be done.

I really don't know what else to say.

Nobody has to say nuthin'; I know you're a stand up guy. Heck, I'm using your masonry boilerplate that you (re)wrote for me. We're cool from my end.

Just remember, I like to challenge folks & be challenged in return; it's how dumb animals (me) learn. Folks that take any of this personal, shouldn't. It's just home inspection talk in the ether.

Lol,

Yeah, I suppose I just have grow weary of the unprovoked yearly salvos in my direction for not using software.

Who know's maybe 2007 will be the year I move into software! I've been in the process of branding someone elses software to my reporting system.

I suppose part of it in my case is the ole' "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" mentality. I actually build my own PC from scratch and have then later proceeded to mess them up trying to stay on the cutting edge of perfection. (Never quite satisfied even though it's running like a charm.)

I wasn't taking you personal, Kurt. I know we've had some pretty valuable exchange both ways.

Mike

Haubeil,

You will find this difficult to believe. Looking back, even I find it difficult to believe, but in 1999 I performed 938 inspections in one year. After that, I said "never ever again" and I've been slowing down ever since. I just became very popular and Richmond real estate was on fire. Also, I just hated saying "no"

Now, finally after 12 absolutely crazy years, Richmond real estate is going through a minor correction.

In the recent past, I've been performing 14 per week.

Now, some weeks it's 14 and some weeks it's 5 or 6.

And I'm thoroughly enjoying the time off and working on another book.

Mike

I personally, like most of the replies, do mine at home on a computer. I write each comment custom, (ie: no boilerplates) and use plain simple english that you don't have to be an engineer to understand. I've seen many reports and used to write them like this, where an average person wouldn't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I use a LOT of pictures, everything that is called out has a picture to match it. There's no way this could be done on site. It usually takes about an hour to 2 hours to complete. My clients love it and use the report for years to come as their "honey do list". The agents rave about it and most of my business is because I take the time to do it like this... but that's just me. Like many have said, it's what you feel comfortable with and what expectations your clients have of you and your work.

I write the report on site. Bottom line is I made a business decision from day one to do it this way. When I get home, its mine and the family's time.

I have to be as efficient with each inspection and report while maintaining quality - alway striving to do better at both.

And to be perfectly honest, I can't afford to do only one inspection a day. While my schedule is certainly not packed with two a day every day, there are stretches where I need the income and need to get two a day in while I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I do an on site "Verbal Report" (in a guided discussion format) using a laptop and the photos I take during the inspection. Then I send the report as a .pdf (Homegauge written) later that night. Not all the photos I take go into the report; Many are mx recommendations or 'visual notes and reminders'.

Clients and Realtors love it.

just my .02...[^]

Originally posted by Haubeil

Who here completes the report before they leave the property?!

I take several photos and notes, take it all back to the office (home) and compile the report and deliver (and/or email) it the next morning (color laser printer, heavy weight paper and coil ring bound; very profesional look!). [;)]

I've been scalded by local inspectors that it's foolish to not have the report done the minute the inspection is complete (using a Palm tech like software). "...never leave with the property with the report not complete."

What are the pros and cons of each?!

I know I'm missing something, but I don't see how it's possible to deliver a custom inspection report with 'canned comments'. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea but I can't understand how it's done. I take several hours to write a single report. And yes, I'm up late every night writing!!!! I would LOVE to leave the home knowning I'm DONE, and not dread the seveal hours I have remaining to write it up!!! :)

Thanks,

Haubeil

Hi, I like to leave the jobsite with the report finished. I make sure the client understands that I have 48 hours to make ammendments (the concern that I discover while sleeping). If I need to research a concern I tell my client to be prepared for an e-mailed report ammendment. My software enables me to put in boxed comments or custom comments. That saves a lot of time.