Sealed Covers on Evaporater Coil

randynavarro

Preface: from the land of having to inspect an air conditioning system maybe 3-5 times a year:

If the front cover on the evaporator coil is completely sealed with silicone (or even foil or duct tape for that matter), do y'all consider this 'inaccessible'? Or do you rip it all off for an inspection of the coil inside?

Often around here, HVAC installers will not use store bought housings, they will make them themselves. 1 piece using a brake to make the bends and crimp the seam, then slide the housing over the coil and install the ducting. There is no way to get to the coil without completely disassembling the entire unit.

That is where you have to use your best judgement. If the rest of the unit is dirty, or the fan is dirty or old, if you liquid and suction lines are not hot and cold, I recommend servicing the unit. Just make sure you write in your report that access was not gained, and move on.

I've cut duct or foil tape a time or two, but only when it was just one or two pieces that really weren't doing anything anyway. If they made more than a half-arsed effort to seal it up, I'm not going there.

I hate those too. I wanna see that coil.

Brian G.

It's Easier to Get Into a Mess Than Out of One [:-mischie

Originally posted by randynavarro

Preface: from the land of having to inspect an air conditioning system maybe 3-5 times a year:

If the front cover on the evaporator coil is completely sealed with silicone (or even foil or duct tape for that matter), do y'all consider this 'inaccessible'? Or do you rip it all off for an inspection of the coil inside?

If it's sealed shut with silicone it's inaccessible. I have no way of restoring that seal if I break it.

If it's sealed shut with tape I'll occasionally pull it off if I really want to see that coil. I carry foil tape to repair it when I'm done.

I'll only open these if I feel that there's something bad going on in there and if I'm certain that I can put it back together so that it's better than it was when I found it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

[i'll only open these if I feel that there's something bad going on in there and if I'm certain that I can put it back together so that it's better than it was when I found it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Ditto. I see them like that pretty much every day. I will note in my report to tape them if thet're not already taped. In my neck of the woods, most air handlers (and evap coils) are located in the attic. An unsealed access panel allows a ton of dust and crap to get pulled in, which will foul the coil and make the house very dusty!