Good Work if You can Get It

Kurt wrote:

I'm not much of a church goer, but when I go in this place, I get real quiet & understand there's higher powers in this universe"

Oh man, you've got to take a trip down to the forest of the redwoods. I'm absolutely not a religious person, but when I got up in those woods among those huge trees I could feel something working there. No wonder the native americans revered nature so much.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Yes, big woods is big. Really big. That's where we should go.

We don't have the big trees, but we used to; Traverse Bay was surrounded by Eastern White Pines towering to >300'; history books say went >350 and up to 400'. 150' clear stems to the first branches is historically documentd.

Of course, it was such a tiny postage stamp of wonder that the white guys cut it all down in about 10 years; the whole state was clearcut in a matter of 30 years, w/a full 2/3 getting slashed & burned to get @ the remaining primo 1/3 of clear "cork" pine.

I think the knowledge of the clearcut is part of what makes me get quiet when I get in big woods. It's testament to what can happen when folks aren't thinking.

I have had the privlidge of spending a good deal of time at the Temple and grounds for many decades.

I also am from Northern Michigan and have spent countless hours in the forests. To really put this into context; my grandfather cut the virgin timber, my father cut most of the second cutting harvest and there is no harvest for me!

There is a single white pine tree near Grayling (Hartwick Pines Park)that is "original" and a couple of nearby ones that are nearly as old.

The original lumbermen left the oak and some cedar that are still around.

Makes you think when you know where all the virgin timber is in a state the size of Michigan.

Originally posted by kurt

Yes, big woods is big. Really big. That's where we should go.

We don't have the big trees, but we used to; Traverse Bay was surrounded by Eastern White Pines towering to >300'; history books say went >350 and up to 400'. 150' clear stems to the first branches is historically documentd.

Of course, it was such a tiny postage stamp of wonder that the white guys cut it all down in about 10 years; the whole state was clearcut in a matter of 30 years, w/a full 2/3 getting slashed & burned to get @ the remaining primo 1/3 of clear "cork" pine.

I think the knowledge of the clearcut is part of what makes me get quiet when I get in big woods. It's testament to what can happen when folks aren't thinking.

Very well put Kurt.

We happen to be the present keepers. Along with that brings responsibility.