Stucco help needed

Tim H

Not much Stucco in these parts (central Alabama, mostly brick veneer and EIFS), and this is my first Stucco in over 200 inspections. I could not view a cross section from any penetrations, but I got a peek from some areas where the trim/fascia was damaged. I could make out felt paper vapor barrier and a composition substrate. I did not see any lathe that I have ever seen photos of or reference to. Rather, there was a heavy guage wire that appears to be spaced 1" apart vertically (I could only see one horizontal wire). The system thickness was difficult to determine because of the irregular surface finish, but there seems to be only two coats. Accessory joint were present at the corners of windows and doors, and there were only a very few minor hairline cracks present. The home and exterior finish are 34 yrs old. This doesnt appear to be a conventional application (at least one that I am familiar with through training or reading), but it is holding up very well. Any thoughts on what type of system this is, and why there is no mesh lathe present? Thanks.

Tim Howe

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P7190071.JPG

57.28 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P7190072.JPG

68.84 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P7190074.JPG

48.76 KB

Stuccoman-

"In your third picture it looks like there is a wire mesh of some kind."

It does seem to be a wire mesh, and the openings between the mesh appear to be 1".

Is this something you have seen before? I am familiar only with the fine mesh such as that pictured on your web site.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim

Unless I saw problems with moisture or rot, I would point out importance of sealing areas of moisture entry in your pictures then go on to say this is a visual inspection only. For a complete Stucco inspection of wall cavities, etc., consult a stucco inspector.

Originally posted by pi

Unless I saw problems with moisture or rot, I would point out importance of sealing areas of moisture entry in your pictures then go on to say this is a visual inspection only. For a complete Stucco inspection of wall cavities, etc., consult a stucco inspector.

I appreciate your response, but I didnt really have a question about reporting or defects, I am just trying to increase my knowledge of Stucco systems (so that the next time I encounter a similar system, I can speak with some degree of authority). Of course, I did call out the areas of damged/missing stucco and trim for the reason(s) you pointed out, but FWIW (and at the risk of thread drift) I am very hesitant to fill my reports with disclaimers. I would rather go the extra mile and gather all the information that I can on behalf of my client.

Thanks again,

Tim

I get to see all kinds of stucco applications on old buildings that we do not consider a "conventional application" by todays published standards. I've come across 1" wire mesh and even 2". Heck, I had a 300 year old log home that had vertical wood battens spaced at 1.5-2".

I only get concerned if there is significant loss of bond -- or chickum' wire.

This is a great resource guide if you really want stucco info.

Comes as loose leaf tabbed divided binder where you can add manufacture or other docs. and accompanying CD with all the info in indexed searchable PDF.

I use, create boilerplates, and learn from it everytime I do a stucco job.

I turned a builder onto it and he now refers to it as "The Rules" and laminated an onsite copy for his applicators.

http://www.stuccomfgassoc.com/resource.html