NFL Playoffs 2006

Brian G

Well the mighty playoffs start tomorrow (it's still night as I post this), so the Great Prognosticator has arrived to practice his craft. Here are my predictions (aka wild guesses) for the first weekend, in no particular order.

Colts over Chiefs

This is a somewhat intriguing match up, since the Chiefs are run-heavy and the Colts can't stop even bad running teams from getting 100+ yards. But the Chiefs have been too inconsistant the last couple of months and the game is at the Colts. If it went the other way I wouldn't be shocked though.

Cowboys over Seahawks

While the Cowboys haven't played well lately, the Seahawks haven't played well all year. They have only one win against a team with a winning record...one. Romo has fallen back to earth and may have his head on straight(er) by now, but if he just doesn't blow it Dallas should win. The Cowboys are the Bears with a mediocre defense.

Eagles over Giants

This is the easiest one of the whole weekend. Brother Prickett's Eggles ended the season hot, balanced, and united; the Giants are the opposite of all of that. Yeah, the Giants finally won one at the very end, but Tiki ain't gonna run for 200+ yards against the Eagles. I see a likely blowout.

Patriots over the Jets

Inspired coaching and a generally weak schedule put the Jets in the playoffs, but the GP sees "one & done" in thier future. They did manage to upset the Pats once this season, so credit where credit is due, but they aren't going 2 out of 3 against a better team/quarterback/coach combination, especially at the Patriots house.

The GP has spoken. [^]

Brian G.

Bring It On!!! [:-footbal[:-footbal[:-footbal

Originally posted by Brian G.

Colts over Chiefs

Correct, in an ugly, ugly win. The Colts will not survive the next round, no matter who they play.

Cowboys over Seahawks

Wrong, but I should've had that one right too. Just kick a stinking 19 yard field goal and make the Seahawks have to come back...but no. Apparently my coin was slightly inferior to Frank's. [;)]

I would say the Seahawks are toast next week, but they're probably gonna play the Bears. I may need a dart board, a magic coin, and a Ouija board to predict that one. [:-boggled

Brian G.

The Confounded Prognosticator [:-paperba

Eagles over Giants

Correct, but no blowout. The Eggles looked less sharp than they had been and the Giants looked like they really, actually tried. If the Giants management doesn't fire Coughlin and half (or more) of the staff, expect nothing different next year.

Patriots over the Jets

Right-O, making the GP 3 out of 4 in round 1. The Jets fought a good fight for most of the game, but in the end it wasn't close. Watch out for those Jets next year; they've got themselves a sharp coach and more room under the salary cap than any other team in the NFL (28 million).

Next Week:

Saints over Eagles

No point in wasting any time making that pick. My beloved Saints are having a great year, and I'd have to pick them if they stunk anyway.

Everything depends on the Saints offense:

If they're sharp, the Eagles can't score with them.

If they're out of sync, the Eagles have a decent shot.

If the Giants sputtery offense can score 20 on the Eagles, the Saints should hang 35 or more on 'em. Should.

Any wager you'd like to make Herr Prickett? [:P]

Ravens over Colts

This could get ugly late, if the Ravens offense is on thier game. The Colts didn't look that good against the Chiefs defense, which is barely a pale shadow of what the Ravens bring.

Chargers over Patriots

The Chargers are the best balanced team in the playoffs, period. The Patriots have improved significantly from where they were early in the year, but they just aren't strong enough to take the Chargers down without help. The Pats need to be +2 in turnovers to have a chance, but I gotta take the Bolts at home.

Seahawks over Bears

I have no great confidence in that pick, and I reserve the right to change my mind until the game starts. Bad vs. Ugly...who knows?

Brian G.

Geaux Saints! [:-footbal

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Our Bears have been sand-bagging.

If so I'd have to say it was a masterful performance. Grossman should be up for an Academy award. [:-slaphap

Even-up, I'll take the Bears,a ten-spot.

If they wind up playing the Saints we'll talk, but I ain't puttin' squat on the Seahawks. [:-yuck]

Brian G.

Workin' For the Weekend [:-footbal

The Bears are an enigma; one week can contradict the previous one.

We'll know about the Bears after Grossman goes through his first set of downs; he can be on, and we all know he be way off.

The other night wasn't exactly Seattle shining; Dallas let it get away badly.

This one's a total tossup.

Originally posted by chrisprickett

Here's the bet: Loser writes a 100 word rhyme, to post on TIJ, about the glorious victory of the winning team.

Done, Birdman. If you start now you'll have it ready in plenty of time. [;)]

Brian G.

Coming Soon...Prickett the Playoff Poet [:-paperba

Saints over Eagles

Right, but barely. Damn that was a great game. I realise that winning helps a lot, but that was a helluva game. It could have easily come out differently with just a few changes along the way. I couldn't believe Coach Reid punted on 4th & 15 with very little time left...but then I couldn't believe Coach Payton called a toss play to a rookie on the preceeding Saints drive (fumbled). Duece was the man.

Ravens over Colts

Wrong. Well the Colts offense still didn't look all that sharp, but the defense...what's gotten into them? I'm sure lots of talking head sports geniuses will be calling this an "ugly win" for the Colts, but that was a hard-fought game all around. If the defense keeps playing like that and the offense gets going....

I hope the Sunday games are as tightly contested. I'm halfway reconsidering my Chargers pick.....nah, I'll stick it out.

I hope Seattle wins so my beloved Saints can host the NFC Championship game, but I don't have a lot of faith in that pick either. Still tossing a coin on this one.

My condolences to Brother Prickett and his die-hard Eagles. I await the victory poem with more amused curiousity than relish.

Brian G.

No "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue" Stuff Now... [;)]

Chargers over Patriots

Nope. This is the kind of game that drives prognosticators (and the losing team's fans) nuts. The Chargers gave the Pats all the help they needed to pull that game out, with dumb plays and personal fouls. Not to discredit the Patriots play, they did what they needed to do, but without all of that help they don't win. Congrats to da Pats.

Seahawks over Bears

Another miss, but no big shock. This was a pretty good back & forth game either team could have taken. Both sides had and blew golden opportunities to get a leg up on the other. In the end it was one good pass and nice job by the field goal kicker; game over.

3 - 1 last weekend

1 - 3 this weekend (what's that smell?) [:-yuck]

4 - 4 so far, with only 3 games left.

Next Weekend:

Saints over the Bears

Surprise-surprise, I'm picking my boys. This is a strength-on-strength (Saints O vs. Bears D) & weakness-on-weakness (Bears O vs. Saints D) match up. Objectively...who knows? The team that plays the best/makes the least mistakes will win. Or as a genius announcer once said "The team that scores the most points will probably win today"....never forgot that one. [:-slaphap

Okay Kurt, here's my suggestion. The loser buys both a nice meal of fine New Orleans cusine at the next IW. Not fast food of course, but not some you-can't-eat-here-for-under-$100-a-head joint either. No points, no nothing, per usual. What do you say Ole' Grizzly?

I gotta think about the Colts vs. Pats a little.

Brian G.

Geaux Saints! [:-footbal

How about a bucket of chicken?

What's rough is betting from the corner I'm backed into; clean numbers sez the Saints, but my hometown boys might contain them enough to allow Rex to waft a winner like he did today.

Yer on. Dinner in the Big Easy in '08 on one of us. Ain' bettin' agin da Bears.

Here's the bet: Loser writes a 100 word rhyme, to post on TIJ, about the glorious victory of the winning team.

Done, Birdman. If you start now you'll have it ready in plenty of time. [;)]

Brian G.

Coming Soon...Prickett the Playoff Poet [:-paperba

(As per our agreement)

Oh when the Saints, pay off the refs,

Oh when the Saints, pay off the refs!

No the Birds cannot get the game ball,

When the Saints, pay off the refs!

Oh when the coach, can’t find his stones,

Oh when the coach, can’t find his stones!

When the coach, can’t find his stones!

I guess we’ll wait, until next year,

I guess we’ll wait, until next year!

For me to yet again be disappointed,

(As per our agreement)

Oh when the Saints, pay off the refs,

Oh when the Saints, pay off the refs!

When the Saints, pay off the refs!

Oh when the coach, can’t find his stones,

Oh when the coach, can’t find his stones!

When the coach, can’t find his stones!

I guess we’ll wait, until next year,

For me to yet again be disappointed,

Oooooookay....

Far be it from me to press a wounded fan, but I have to question whether that...um, work is "per our agreement".

The bold is mine. Somehow lines like "Oh when the Saints, pay off the refs" don't strike me as being about the glorious victory of the winning team. Am I being too sensitive? [:-dev3]

Oh well, being a lifelong Saints fan I can easily sympathize with your frustration. We've waited 40 years just to get a chance to play in this next game. Hang in there bro'.

And I definitely agree with the second verse; Andy turned into Sandy at the end there. I was really surprised how conventional both sides were in thier play calling. Not one trick play in the whole game, with seasons on the line. The non-punt we ran for a first down wasn't a called play, the guy just improvised because he knew it would be blocked. Our coaches better have some wrinkles for the Bears, dang it! No more field goals in the red zone, please.

An interesting note on the playoffs....

All 4 remaining teams regularly feature 2 running backs, not 1; 3 of the 4 have a veteran/rookie combo (the Bears don't).

All 4 teams that lost this past weekend feature 1 running back.

Hmmmmmmmmm........

Brian G.

Walking on Football-Shaped Clouds This Week [:-angel]

We booed Santa Claus (he had a bad year) and cheered Michael Irvin's career-ending injury.

Point taken. Tough crowd. You should have seen my face when Bush fumbled that toss. [:D]

I'll tell you, this has to be the most wide-open NFL playoffs in years. Anybody left could go all the way with a couple of good games. The AFC, currently superior to the NFC overall, has already lost the two best teams from the regular season. The two AFC teams left are both winning butt-ugly and will need a one game longer steak than the two NFC teams to take the crown. The NFC teams look more balanced and somewhat fresher, but can they beat whatever heat-treated team comes from the other side in the big one? Plus the NFC quarterbacks are greenhorns compared to Manning and Brady.

The sports media is already starting up about the "dome team going north" blah, blah, blah. Hey, Brees played at Purdue for 4 years and the Saints are 6 - 2 on the road this year. I only worry about that field. Hasselbeck said it was terrible.

Hey Jack, what's with your boys mocking Mr. Merriman on the mid-field Charger logo? Tisk-tisk. [:-slaphap

Apologies to anyone I'm boring to death with this stuff; I'm kinda wound up. Any other Saints/Bears/Colts/Patriots fans on the board?

Brian G.

Trapped in the Zone [:-footbal

The sports media is already starting up about the "dome team going north" blah, blah, blah. Hey, Brees played at Purdue for 4 years and the Saints are 6 - 2 on the road this year. I only worry about that field. Hasselbeck said it was terrible.

Brian G.

Trapped in the Zone[/navy] [:-footbal

We do it that way to confuse you Southerners. Get ready for ugly weather....