Add on business

Seeing Juniors post sparked rememberance of questions I wanted to ask about add on business.

What percentage of inspectors are doing add on business would you guess?

Does it vary by region?

Is it a significant part or ones business?

Which add on business's are inspectors likely to do?

Which ones are the most likely to be profitable?

Chris, Oregon

I haven't discovered a good add-on yet for my business.

The cost of learning it correctly and getting trained plus the additional time on site for me doesn't pencil.

IOW, the extra time it may take to do an add-on lessens the time I have for a second inspection for the day. In some cases, depending on how much time, I may not be able to do the 2nd inspection. I haven't found an add-on service that replaces the entire cost of a 2nd inspection.

As I don't do 2 inspections everyday, however, an add-on service might fit nicely on a slower day or week.

Alway open to ideas, though!

IMHO,

Keep them to what you do and know about.

IOW don’t sell them a car wash at the inspection; it's not what you do.

Do sell what you know. Detached buildings $, Irrigation systems $, pools $, energy audit $, put the sure test to work (Michael Levett sp? does this), water test $, EIFS $. Inspect/render an opinion on what you have the knowledge of. I for example perform many of the listed items. I do have the knowledge or equipment for some. Therefore I don't offer them.

Well, thats what I thought in general. I see some inspectors advertise with all these add on options and was curious does that really make any sense as a business model.

The only thing that I know of late thats a cinch would be the Enviormental Reports that EDR is now marketing thru home inspectors.

Chris, Oregon

These are my add ons:

Radon testing (it is a norm in my area to have radon testing. We are listed as a high area by the EPA)

Radon mitigation system inspections. (Same as above)

I also have the training and certifications for Radon testing and mitigation's. This is the key to add ons. You need to have the proper training.

Like Scott, I am in a high Radon area and do testing and mitigation system inspections.

Others do Mold (which has been eloquently addressed by Mike in a previous post) and Lead swipes. Lead swipes are another high liability and low return on investment that I would recommend staying away from.

Still learning to do home inspections. We do have seperate companies that do other things - but no home inspections.

I do a very good clog dance and a few magic tricks when the inspection conversation gets stale. There is no charge, but I have actually gotten several "tips" over the years for entertainment!

The only add-on that I've actually considered is scoping sewer lines to the street. I usually refer them to one guy. He's on-site about 30-40 minutes charges around $150 to $200 per inspection and does about 10 - 12 on a good day. He stays pretty busy, because so much of the stuff in town is starting to break down from old age and because a lot of the HI guys are referring work to him.

It just seems like a good fit, because there is no question in anyone's mind that it's an additional service outside the scope of the home inspection and they absolutely have no problem paying extra for it. I thought about using the same thing to do Level 2's on chimneys, but chimney guys have a bad habit of creating additional work for themselves when they come out to sweep and I wouldn't want to get into a situation where the clients thought I could have seen the issue without the equipment and think I'm taking them for a ride.

Expensive piece of equipment though and the guy who I refer them to tells me that he's got 3 of them because they're constantly getting broken and he's always got new repair parts on order for one or more.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Maybe I should get licensed as a realtor for fill in work and tap that big client base. Where's that number for the Ted Truitt school of Real Estate... Oh someone please shoot me!

This week kind of sucked but I'm already booked thru next week; however, this was the kind of year I was expecting - up & down, up & down.

Chris, Oregon