window flashings

larster70

First define flashings for me.

Are you referring to the splines around the windows behind the siding (You won't generally see those except on new construction before the siding goes on.) or are you talking about the head flashings over the top of the window which extend from behind the underlayment to the outside of the window casing?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

First define flashings for me.

Are you referring to the splines around the windows behind the siding (You won't generally see those except on new construction before the siding goes on.) or are you talking about the head flashings over the top of the window which extend from behind the underlayment to the outside of the window casing?

OT - OF!!!

M.

My friends' house has some old siding on it, which from my guess is an asbestos cement material. The house has newer vinyl double hung windows. The wood work around the window has aluminum flashings around them, but the flashings don't extend under the old siding. I hope that answers your question.

Originally posted by larster70

. . . My friends' house has some old siding on it, which from my guess is an asbestos cement material. The house has newer vinyl double hung windows. The wood work around the window has aluminum flashings around them,

Around them or on top of them?

but the flashings don't extend under the old siding. I hope that answers your question.
If the flashing doesn't extend up under the siding where the hell does it go?

- Jim Katen

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by larster70

. . . My friends' house has some old siding on it, which from my guess is an asbestos cement material. The house has newer vinyl double hung windows. The wood work around the window has aluminum flashings around them,
Around them or on top of them?
but the flashings don't extend under the old siding. I hope that answers your question.
If the flashing doesn't extend up under the siding where the hell does it go?

- Jim Katen

I should've taken a photo, but the flashing/cladding ends maybe 1/4'' just before the siding. So, now there's a 1/4" gap around most of the windows.

Hi Larry,

Yeah, you're describing cladding, not flashing. Cladding is a trim covering that reduces maintenance.

Flashing is a completely different animal - its purpose is to guide water safely away from building materials that don't play well with water (e.g., wood).

Ideally, you should see some aluminum or perhaps a foil tape around the window (and under the siding) to protect it from the elements. (OR as Mike said earlier, the window may provide splines to guide water away. I don't know what material your windows are made of.)

If there is no such flashing or tape, then something needs to be done. But without a picture, it's not wise to suggest exactly what should be done. A poor job of caulking the space will just trap water and make things worse. So, that's about all I can offer. Need pics.

I think he might be looking @ a peculiar Chicago style mess. By the time many of these old frame joints get to the vinyl siding & window retrofit, they've got 3-4 layers of other stuff preceding it. The result is all sorts of bizarre "flashing/cladding" iterations, in successive layers.

Funny thing is, the old dumps don't seem to "leak". Those previous layers underneath the vinyl tend to shed water; ducks back engineering. Lots of times, there's that old nasty fake brick asphaltic celotex siding/sheathing in there, and that stuff works (sort of) like layers of builders felt.

Either that, or the sheer mass of all the siding simply absorbs & equalizes the leak moisture back out during atmoshpheric changes.

Not saying it's right, just describing how I see it work.

Originally posted by kurt

I think he might be looking @ a peculiar Chicago style mess. By the time many of these old frame joints get to the vinyl siding & window retrofit, they've got 3-4 layers of other stuff preceding it. The result is all sorts of bizarre "flashing/cladding" iterations, in successive layers.

Funny thing is, the old dumps don't seem to "leak". Those previous layers underneath the vinyl tend to shed water; ducks back engineering. Lots of times, there's that old nasty fake brick asphaltic celotex siding/sheathing in there, and that stuff works (sort of) like layers of builders felt.

Either that, or the sheer mass of all the siding simply absorbs & equalizes the leak moisture back out during atmoshpheric changes.

Not saying it's right, just describing how I see it work.

lol. Here's a pic I took before we silicon to seal the gap.

20076711354_windowsresized001.jpg