main panel mounting

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by AHI

Is it ok for a main panel to be mounted with its back side flush up to a combustible surface such as OSB? Where can I find all the skinny on proper mounting of a main panel?

Do the same rules apply to subs?

As far as I can tell, there's no rule against placing a panel enclosure up against a combustible surface such as OSB. Though you'd have a hard time doing it since most panel enclosures have small mounting dimples on the back that create a 1/4" air space between the metal box and the surface behind the metal box.

The purpose of these dimples, I believe, is to make it easier to comply with 312.2(A). This section says that in damp or wet locations surface-type enclosures should be installed with 1/4" of air space between the back of the enclosure and the mounting surface.

Whether the enclosure contains a service panel or a sub panel makes no difference.

If you want all the skinny on mounting these things, read the manufacturers instructions and Article 312.

- Jim Katen, Oregon