help me study for test

I will be taking a stab at the NHIE on Aug 10th. It may have some things on it that hav'nt been covered in my materials in much depth because of my location. I will likely never even see these things on properties in my area but I would still like to learn more about them for the test. Please assume that I know nothing about them and tell me what are some common things I should know about the following;

1. Structural requirements regarding seismic activity.

2. Structural requirements regarding hurricanes.

3. Swamp coolers.

Tell me what you know or post links to good info.

Thanks

John, I can't give you any advice on those three things, because like you, I don't have them in my area. Any questions on those would be a tiny percentage of the overall test, so I wouldn't spend too much time boning up on them. Here's a little info on swamp coolers:http://www.discoverhorizon.com/hrb/HHRB.aspx?id=1711&DROPDOWN=6844

What I can tell you is that you're going to do fine on the test. From reading your posts, it's obvious that you this seriously, and have a bright and inquisitive mind. You'll undoubtedly be better prepared than most of the other test takers. Get a good night's sleep the night before and have dinner reservations made for a celebration that evening.

Good luck!

Originally posted by AHI

I will be taking a stab at the NHIE on Aug 10th. It may have some things on it that hav'nt been covered in my materials in much depth because of my location. I will likely never even see these things on properties in my area but I would still like to learn more about them for the test. Please assume that I know nothing about them and tell me what are some common things I should know about the following;

1. Structural requirements regarding seismic activity.

2. Structural requirements regarding hurricanes.

3. Swamp coolers.

Tell me what you know or post links to good info.

Thanks

As Les said, don't sweat the small stuff.

Tie downs and strapping are used all over the country. If you are on a coastal area, Great Lakes, or even in some other parts of the country you will be seeing more and more tie downs and strapping. High wind is not just along the East coast or the Gulf coast.

Seismic items are fairly simple. Strapping and tie downs again.

You are not expected to answer all of the questions correctly, you have some wiggle room to miss a few. A little known thing about test like the NHIE is that regional type items do not carry the same score weight as, lets say an electrical question about correct wire and breaker sizes.

Thanks for the compliments and words of encouragement.

I have some practice software that claims to be relative to the NHIE. Its actually in test form and allows you to go back and review so you can learn the correct answers of the ones you got wrong. It draws from a pool of 500 questions and gives you a different combination each time you return. Its not perfect though. I can point out at least 1/2 dozen mistakes in the software out of the 500 questions.

When I first decided I wanted to set off to become a home inspector, I found that NACHI practice test at their site the very same day. Its the 120 question test that gives you a time limit of 1 hour. I took it that day and finished all but 2 questions and scored a 70 something, I cant remember the exact. Two days ago I took that same practice test(of coarse it was a different combination of questions) and scored a 96 with 20 mins to spare.

I know that test is different from the NHIE but it does show considerable improvement in my knowledge of the aspects in general.

Thank God for the internet as it has made this opportunity wide open for me. I thank all the members here as well for nudging me along in my journey.

I am still waiting for my State of Maryland to respond to my license application.

Thanks again for the extra tips.

Go to the menu bar above, pass your cursor over library and then choose and click on "File Downloads" at the far left. Then scroll down to FM3-34 the US Army Plumbing manual. While you're there, you can also check out the electrical correspondence courses at the bottom of the list.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike