wire running on the ground

CheckItOut

House today had a very low deck. So low I could not even begin to fit under there. I saw romex running from the house, on the dirt, over to... the hot tub.

Is it okay to attach the wire to the deck structure with staples or is outside wire required to be run in conduit? If it were mine, I'd want conduit.

Originally posted by AHI

If the wire is in a location that gets wet it should not be romex. It should be UF cable at least.

Yes, it will get wet. I was using the term Romex but it could be and hopefully is UF. I know it can be burried underground but laying on top of the ground? It is under a deck where small aminals could fest on it.

Originally posted by CheckItOut

House today had a very low deck. So low I could not even begin to fit under there. I saw romex running from the house, on the dirt, over to... the hot tub.

Is it okay to attach the wire to the deck structure with staples or is outside wire required to be run in conduit? If it were mine, I'd want conduit.

No, it's not ok. It should be in conduit or some other sort of enclosure that provides physical protection from 18" below the surface of the ground to 8' above the surface of the ground.

Ref: 300.5(D)(1).

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by CheckItOut

No, it's not ok. It should be in conduit or some other sort of enclosure that provides physical protection from 18" below the surface of the ground to 8' above the surface of the ground.

Ref: 300.5(D)(1).

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thank you Jim