Insulating attached garages

Tim H

Does it make any sense to insulate the ceiling and exterior walls of an attached garage? My thinking is that the living space is already enveloped by insulation and insulating the garage would not have any benefit.This would be for a single story, slab on grade in Huntsville Alabama (zone 8?) Could there be a downside? I never see ceiling insulation installed over garages like this, but a friend is building and thinks that it would be a good idea to insulate the ceiling and walls.

Thanks,

Tim

Originally posted by Tim H

Does it make any sense to insulate the ceiling and exterior walls of an attached garage? My thinking is that the living space is already enveloped by insulation and insulating the garage would not have any benefit.This would be for a single story, slab on grade in Huntsville Alabama (zone 8?) Could there be a downside? I never see ceiling insulation installed over garages like this, but a friend is building and thinks that it would be a good idea to insulate the ceiling and walls.

Thanks,

Tim

I insulated the living daylights out of my garage when I built it. It's nice. I don't regret the time or the expense.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 4 years later...

The garages that i have built have been both insulated and uninsulated. The main factor was what the owner intended to use the garage for. The last garage build i did was an unattached garage 24 X 60. We insulated the walls and ceiling and then installed 1/2 inch 4' x 8' structure board (plywood) with strands, just like you would install drywall over your studs with the cut outs for the windows and outlets. We finished the lid (ceiling) with ribbed steel panels (white). The owner uses the garage as his out door woodworking shop. Below the concrete slab is radiant heat pipe with a water heater and controls that run the whole heating system. Very efficient way to heat a garage or workshop.

The garages that i have built have been both insulated and uninsulated. The main factor was what the owner intended to use the garage for. The last garage build i did was an unattached garage 24 X 60. We insulated the walls and ceiling and then installed 1/2 inch 4' x 8' structure board (plywood) with strands, just like you would install drywall over your studs with the cut outs for the windows and outlets. We finished the lid (ceiling) with ribbed steel panels (white). The owner uses the garage as his out door woodworking shop. Below the concrete slab is radiant heat pipe with a water heater and controls that run the whole heating system. Very efficient way to heat a garage or workshop.

Well, I guess you can tell your friend to go ahead now, Tim.