Headphone Jack

kenneth

Not to be snarky, but assuming that you'll actually put the headphones on/in your ears, the watts don't matter nearly as much as the sound pressure level.

There are a bazillion ways to figure up watts. You've got your average level, your peak level, your transients, etc.

Simply put, if you just want to listen to music via headphones, buy a good set of headphones, plug 'em in, and turn up the volume to a level that's comfortable, but doesn't hurt your ears. If your ears ring after listening, you're doing damage. You can destroy the cilia in the ears with very low-powered phones or buds.

WJ

And don't chew on your Ipod earbud cords 'cause they contain phthalates, according to Sanjay Gupta, CNN's medical watchdog.

The Ipod itself is safe to ingest, apparently, though Greenpeace alleges the device contains excessively high levels of bromide.

Where do these people find the time?

Originally posted by kenneth

I was going to attach a 0.5 watt speaker to a headphone jack for a project involving and iPod shuffle

You know you'll need two speakers, right? Because the output from the iPod is stereo. You'll have to sacrifice the cable from the headphone output, so you can direct left output to left speaker, and right output to right speaker.

Or, just play the music through a set of headphones that aren't on somebody's head.

WJ

So, cilia, you're breaking apart, you're shaking my tympanic membranes...id="blue">

I did the whacko purchase of Sensaphonic custom ear inserts w/Schure E3's. It's one of my few extravagances.

The benefit is absolutely incredible sound @ very low levels so there is no ear damage. These are the same folks that make the in ear monitors for all the rock stars.