Countertop outlets facing up?

tbird

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by tbird

Has anyone ever seen this. A 1978 home with two outlets installed in the kitchen countertop facing up. Besides the risk of spills and wet rags, is there anything else I should know about?

Image Insert:

2008125203851_upoutlets.jpg

38.72 KB

Violation of NEC 2008 406.4(E)

Originally posted by mthomas1

Best to check with the local AHJ, some will not approve any type of "folding" outlet box on a kitchen counter surface. My favorite solution if you don't mind the look is a Lew Electric "floor nozzle". This one has outlets on both sides:

That's a dandy looking thing.

As for the AHJ not approving a folding outlet box, he'd be out of line. AHJs and electrical inspectors aren't supposed to substitute their opinion for the code.

In Oregon, if an inspector rejects an installation, he's got to list the code section that's the basis for his rejection. (Got to write it right on the inspection form.)

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

In Oregon, if an inspector rejects an installation, he's got to list the code section that's the basis for his rejection. (Got to write it right on the inspection form.)

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Must be nice. We get turned down without the beneift of a code reference.

in the case of the flip-up type, the argument is that the "face up" requirement in 406.4(e) is violated as the face of the box is pointed upwards and level with the counter-top. I've read that these:

PCS39_EE_HW.jpg

http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?ID=4&action=detail&partCode=PCS39/EE/HW

are UL listed for kitchen counters, but I don't find such a listing in the specs on the site.

Originally posted by mthomas1

in the case of the flip-up type, the argument is that the "face up" requirement in 406.4(e) is violated as the face of the box is pointed upwards and level with the counter-top. I've read that these: . . . are UL listed for kitchen counters, but I don't find such a listing in the specs on the site.

I still say that the inspector is out of line. The NEC doesn't say peep about the direction that the box faces or whether or not it's flush to the countertop. He's substituting his opinion for the code.

- Jim Katen, Oregon