HW at an angle?

sepefrio

I inspected a house today, well part of it anyways (when I found falling bricks the Realtor said the FHA loan would never go through so might as well stop) that had a gas hot water heater. Since I didn't inspect it, I just quick looked it, I didn't get all the particulars as to why is was leaning but thats not part of my question.

On the drive home I was thinking about it. First for this discussion, lets assume it's a brand new HW, and everything else was in perfect condition. But lets say the HW heater was on a concrete slab and angled at about 20 degrees. Does the mere fact that it is tilted cause a problem? If so what are they?

I'm thinking that first, since it's gas fired, the flames are not actually burning straight up but at an angle thus not the way intended. I would think this would cause reduced efficiency but would it damage the HW?

Also, I would think there is almost no way the exhaust would line up properly? I mean there could be angles but still, one side of the draft hood would be higher than the other.

Oh yeah, the hazard of it falling over too.

Anyways, what problems would a leaning HW cause? Is there any special difference between an electric and a gas (besides what I mentioned above) HW in this situation.

Thanks for the incoming lesson.

Since even a small water heater (40 gallon) weighs in around 400 pounds when it's full of water, and a 50 gallon is >400#, it's kinda important that they be standing up straight, in addition to all the other stuff. That sucker tips over, it's gonna come down w/a bang.

When I find them leaning, it's usually because the bottom's rusted out.

Originally posted by hausdok

You've named them. I'll bet you can't find one manufacturer that allows them to be installed more than a few (let's say no more than 5) degrees out of level.

OT - OF!!!

M.

The Pisa Water Heater Company allows it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon