Poor roof and attic ventilation.

Richard Moore

Originally posted by Richard Moore

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything as recent as a 1983 home without some type of eave or soffit vents before. This may be a regional thing with no definitive answer but, surely, the requirements for adequate ventilation was around in 1983, even for rental apartment buildings?

The other question…do licensed roofing contractors (or builders)have any obligation (other than moral) to evaluate and improve ventilation when installing new roofing on an existing property?

1) Yes, ventilation in 1983. It was like wicks and weepholes; it was in the books for a while before folks figured out it was supposed to be there.

2) If the attrorney's can make reasonable arguments to that effect, sure.

The other question…do licensed roofing contractors (or builders)have any obligation (other than moral) to evaluate and improve ventilation when installing new roofing on an existing property?

Without looking this up for the exact code reference number: Yes (if you are working under the IRC).

Based on memory: Check the IRC roof section and there should be a requirement to comply with current ventilation standards when a roof is torn off/ replaced. ( I can't remember for sure if this is only if the sheathing is replaced or not).

I don't have the book with me right now, but I can look up the exact reference later if you would like.

Also, they are not required to have any ventilation at the eaves, they just have to ventilate at a 1:150 ratio, at least to barely meet code (stupid)

I will leave the last post for those that already read it

The requirement to comply with current ventilation practices is only outlined/ required in the Oregon Residential Specialty Code (based on the IRC, but this requirement was added by the state of OR) (R907.1.1)

If there is no local code requirement for the ventilation, I would go to the manufacturers installation instructions, or the NRCA/ ARMA recommendations if possible.

"The other question…do licensed roofing contractors (or builders)have any obligation (other than moral) to evaluate and improve ventilation when installing new roofing on an existing property?"

Now there's a question! In my experience, when roofing contractors bid out a job they simply size up the squares and price from that. They seldom, if ever, look in attics or pay attention to ventilation. Nor do they pay attention to the lack of spacing between the first layer of shingles and the side wall cladding.

The laborers have even tighter fitting blinders on. I've seen where they have nailed over areas where the decking was virtually non-existent due to decay. They disconnect bath ducts from existing roof hoods but don't reconnect to the new hoods.

The sad fact is that many roofers make little effort to fully evaluate conditions or mention problems they encounter. When I come across poor installations I recommend to the homeowner that he contact his roofer and hold his feet to the fire.

So, is the "obligation" there? Apparently not.

Thanks for the input. The "obligation" or requirements part was just for me. I don't really care if local codes or requirements have been met or not. As far as my client and the report are concerned, well, basically, it ain't working and it needs fixing, and that would be my response if I was challenged by the builder claiming he wasn't "required" to do anything.

I had the client stick his head up into the attic, showed him the IR thermometer readings and made him well aware of the lack of ventilation and the possible consequences. Whether this unit, the neighboring one and the other 7 similar blocks in the complex ever get increased ventilation is now up to everyone BUT me.

Vini, Vidi, Opini, Somnus

(I came, I saw, I reported, I took a nap)