Jump to content

Receptacle above tub (again, no doubt)


Jerry Simon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Amazing how often we (I) read stuff and it doesn't sink in unless it's our own question being answered. Reason I say that...

Pretty sure this has been asked before...is this receptacle okay, same being located (partially) above the bathtub. Yes, it's a GFCI.

Image Insert:

20081021152834_misc%20055.jpg

2055.44 KB

If not, code reference? Thanks so very much. Promise I'll remember answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Amazing how often we (I) read stuff and it doesn't sink in unless it's our own question being answered. Reason I say that...

Pretty sure this has been asked before...is this receptacle okay, same being located (partially) above the bathtub. Yes, it's a GFCI.

If not, code reference? Thanks so very much. Promise I'll remember answer.

If it makes you feel better, I had to look it up. The prohibitions against obvious/stupid stuff are the hardest ones to remember.

406.8©Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder what the person who installed that receptacle there was thinking... apparently nothing. That's the problem.

Along the same lines, I often find light switches within the shower/bathtub compartment as well. I believe the rules for light switches varies from the receptacle rule, but I still recommend relocating switches in this situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by msteger

I wonder what the person who installed that receptacle there was thinking... apparently nothing. That's the problem.

Along the same lines, I often find light switches within the shower/bathtub compartment as well. I believe the rules for light switches varies from the receptacle rule, but I still recommend relocating switches in this situation.

Yes, the rule for switches is different.

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations. Blah, blah, blah . . . Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From that verbiage, Jim, I would say that the rules for receptacles and switches (for lights or fans) are actually fairly similar. Neither should be installed within a shower/bathtub compartment. By the switches "installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly", is that referring to a switch for a jetted tub, for example?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by msteger

From that verbiage, Jim, I would say that the rules for receptacles and switches (for lights or fans) are actually fairly similar. Neither should be installed within a shower/bathtub compartment.

Not quite. That's an oversimplification.

Receptacles can't be installed within or directly above a tub or shower stall. This is the more restrictive of the two rules.

Switches can't be within *wet locations* of tub or shower spaces.

Wet locations are defined in Article 100. It includes ". . . areas subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas . . ."

I'd say you aren't allowed to put a switch on a shower wall, but you are allowed to put one on the wall above a bathtub that has no shower.

By the switches "installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly", is that referring to a switch for a jetted tub, for example?

I don't know what they're referring to there. The switches for jetted tubs are usually air switches; they aren't electrical. I've never seen a switch that's part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...