Electrical Question re: AFCIs

StevenT

Yes in bedrooms and since there needs to be hard wired smoke detectors then they too must be on the AFCI breaker.

Lighting and outlets for bedrooms do not have to be on the same circuit but most of the time they are.

Typically there is 1 AFCI breaker (combination type) per bedroom and one of those also feeds the smokes.

The NEC says that branch circuits supplying outlets need to be ACFI protected. It says nothing about AFCI in Lighting circuits.

If the Lights are on the same circuit as Outlets then they will be AFCI protected by virtue of being on the same circuit as AFCI protected outlets.

Generally in new construction, for me anyway, lights are on separate circuits from outlets. I don't think (in general) that there is any prohibition of putting lights and outlets on the same circuit.

I know there are some specific case where they cannot be e.g. kitchen small apliance circuits.

Any place you 'tap' into electrical power can be an outlet, such as a receptacle, light, hardwired smoke detector, etc. Bedroom outlets must be AFCI protected. Closet lighting does not have to be AFCI protected, although often, closet lighting is on the same circuit as the bedroom circuit which would already have to be AFCI protected. Most of the time in my area in new construction, I see each bedroom having its own AFCI breaker.

• 1 month later...

Any place you 'tap' into electrical power can be an outlet, such as a receptacle, light, hardwired smoke detector, etc. Bedroom outlets must be AFCI protected. Closet lighting does not have to be AFCI protected, although often, closet lighting is on the same circuit as the bedroom circuit which would already have to be AFCI protected. Most of the time in my area in new construction, I see each bedroom having its own AFCI breaker.

210.12(B) states that closit lighting must have AFCI protection.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that both the outlets and switches are wired on the same AFCIs. With the new codes in Texas, all new home bedroom outlets are required to be on AFCI protectors.

Robert,

http:www.atexinspects.com

Should the lighting circuits in bedrooms be tied into AFCI breaker?

Should the outlets be on the same AFCI circuit as lighting?

Robert,

AFCIs have been required in sleeping areas of new home construction since January-2002.

All locations, not protected by GFCIs, are now required to have AFCI protection. This per the 2008 NEC. Will come into play as AHJs adopt same.

Per the new TREC SOP that is one of the new/refreshed items we have to inspect for.