Security gates during power outages

Richard Moore

I thought about putting this in the Washington only section but thought it might be of interest to others.

Had a condo complex in downtown seattle with a rolling security gate to the above ground parking area (no garage). The client was concerned about power outages and whether there would be a way to get his car out (or in) during one. There was no (obvious) manual disconnect and, as I couldn't open the control box, I don't know if there was a battery back-up installed. I recommended he talk to the HOA and/or builder for more info.

Here's my question. I Googled around and did find some individual communities that require a manual opening means and emergency power, but I can't seem to find anything national or for Seattle, King County or the state. Anyone know if there is such a code?

I'm not too concerned about the fire department as I'm fairly sure they have their ways with these (cut the chain, drive the truck into it, etc, etc).

I thought about putting this in the Washington only section but thought it might be of interest to others.

Had a condo complex in downtown seattle with a rolling security gate to the above ground parking area (no garage). The client was concerned about power outages and whether there would be a way to get his car out (or in) during one. There was no (obvious) manual disconnect and, as I couldn't open the control box, I don't know if there was a battery back-up installed. I recommended he talk to the HOA and/or builder for more info.

Here's my question. I Googled around and did find some individual communities that require a manual opening means and emergency power, but I can't seem to find anything national or for Seattle, King County or the state. Anyone know if there is such a code?

I'm not too concerned about the fire department as I'm fairly sure they have their ways with these (cut the chain, drive the truck into it, etc, etc).

I am not aware of any code requirements. I have always seen a key operated release on multi-family unit parking structures.

If nothing else it falls under best practices.