Safeguard Prop Insp

I was contacted by these people to do Inspections on bank owned properties. They usually are occupancy and condition inspections. Are any of you familiar with this outfit? The pay seems kinda low for their requirements. You are contracted for the inspections so all business costs are your own.

I thought this may be a good filler, but I am not sure[?] That's why I ask your feedback. http://www.safeguardproperties.com/

Thanks

I was contacted by these people to do Inspections on bank owned properties. They usually are occupancy and condition inspections. Are any of you familiar with this outfit? The pay seems kinda low for their requirements. You are contracted for the inspections so all business costs are your own.

I thought this may be a good filler, but I am not sure[?] That's why I ask your feedback. http://www.safeguardproperties.com/

Thanks

They pay $10 per inspection, $12 if it's a rush job.

You could make more money working at McDonalds.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks

They pay $10 per inspection, $12 if it's a rush job.

You could make more money working at McDonalds.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Seriously?

Who the hell would answer their phone for that? I would have thought they'd pay at least $60 - $70 per inspection. My dad had been doing work for one of those outfits a few years ago; it amounted to taking a few photos, filling out a one-page checklist and then emailing the photos and checklist to their headquarters. It took him about half an hour total per house. Like I said, fill-in work.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Gotta disagree.

I used to do these for SafeGuard. Very locally it was about $7.00 per. I'd get 20 or so at a time. $140.00 for about two hours work.

I hate shopping so I'd drop the wife at the grocery store on Saturday morning, zip around to each one (maybe 10 miles of driving) get my photo and property description onto my computer, and be back at the grocery store in about an hour or hour and a half. When I got to the house, I'd hook up the computer and upload the data. I'd have about 2 hours into it by the time I was done with 20 or 25 of them. I don't think McDonalds pays $70.00 an hour gross.

I'd rather be doing home inspections instead of mortgage occupancy inspections, but it was quick, easy money that kept me out of the grocery store and came in handy when I wasn't doing all that many inspections.

Did one storm check for them on about 60 houses all over Eastern Kentucky at $50.00 a pop. Took me two days and one night away from home with probably about 600 miles of driving.

And Safeguard always paid timely. Gotta have mapping and routing software to make it work good.

Do the math. It can be worth it depending on what you already have on your plate.

Erby,

Were you in a high density market? I am in a rural area and they want to give a 40 mile radius, which I am sure that I would travel most of that. I'm guessing here that 20 inspections would amount to over 6 hours of work and over 100 miles of travel. They want to be named to your E&O. So with you taking on all the liability, is it worth it?

Lets see - 20 insp x $10 = $200 = $33/hr

Employment taxes = $5/hr

Mileage = $10/hr

E&O ins = ?

Say approx $16/hr

Would you do it? They say it can be 20-40 per week.

Erby,

Were you in a high density market? I am in a rural area and they want to give a 40 mile radius, which I am sure that I would travel most of that. I'm guessing here that 20 inspections would amount to over 6 hours of work and over 100 miles of travel. They want to be named to your E&O. So with you taking on all the liability, is it worth it?

Lets see - 20 insp x $10 = $200 = $33/hr

Employment taxes = $5/hr

Mileage = $10/hr

E&O ins = ?

Say approx $16/hr

Would you do it? They say it can be 20-40 per week.

Not speaking for Erby, but I doubt that your E&O provider will even cover this type of inspection!

Gotta disagree.

I used to do these for SafeGuard. Very locally it was about $7.00 per. I'd get 20 or so at a time. $140.00 for about two hours work.

Yes, but you live in a thriving metropolis. I live in west bumbuck where I have to drive 20 minutes to buy a quart of milk (unless I want to wrestle with the neighbor's froward milk goat).

To simply drive to 20 random houses in my area would take the better part of a day, to say nothing of the fact that people around here who are about to be foreclosed upon tend to greet unknown visitors with a shotgun.

High-volume, low-price business models just don't work in my area. I can see how they might work in a more densely populated place. Even so, I imagine that if you were even slightly less organized, you'd risk losing money.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Ya gotta do the math. It doesn't work out for everyone or every place. If you aren't making some money at it, you shouldn't bother doing it.

The 20 or so in my area were all within about five miles of the grocery store. It worked for me then. Now, it doesn't as I'm busier with home inspections. But, at the time, it put food on the table.