measuring electromagnetic fields

CheckItOut

Got an email from a client asking if I could measure the strength of electromagnetic fields from power lines. If I could, I don't even know if there is a proposed standard or number to go by. I know there are studies that show increased risk of leukemia living near these but for every study showing a hazard, seems like there is another saying the studies are flawed. Who knows. Any of you guys actually measure emissions from these things?

Jamison,

Zip around the web a little bit and you will get any number of "opinions".

I worked a file several years ago for the court that involved dairy cows and power lines and found that nobody knew much of nothing at that time.

Buy a Gauss meter, abt $20.00, and have fun with it. As far as I know using WestLaw lexus/nexus there are no precedential actions. Stick a meter on the dash of your vehicle and it will go nuts driving under traffic lights, power lines, speed traps, etc..

BTW, the cows lost!

When customers ask me about power lines, I opine that until they have verifiable studies with proper conclusions I'm going to consider it hocus pocus. I have a compass that I use to verify the direction that the house points. I'll walk them out on the front lawn, show them which way the house points and then walk inside the house and check it again and it's almost always off about 8 to 10 degrees. That's when I point out to them that all of us living inside of electrified homes are subjected to electro-magnetic radiation 24/7/365 so what possible difference could living 200 meters from a set of power lines make.

I'd guess that a big screen TV emits more measurable radiation than a set of power lines 200 meters away.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

When I was a teenager we had a power company substation in our subdivision, for some unknown reason we thought it was fun to stick old fluorescent light bulbs along the fence with tape a few times a year. They would all start glowing as soon as we got within a few feet of the fence that went around the substation. We use to spell words out on the fence (Stop the War, Peace and Flower Power,etc....were the common ones).

Some years back, some of the neighbor ladies talked me into persuading some guys from the power company to come and measure the EMF fields under some neighborhood power lines.

Unverified results went something like this: The power lines in question were very high off the ground and produced no meaningful EMFs at ground level.

Just for fun, the two power-company guys asked if they could come into my house and show me a few things. I agreed. What I learned was that if anything's gonna getcha with EMFs, it's gonna be your microwave, your blender and your electric shaver. Essentially, anything with a motor in it.

I would not start checking for EMFs on an HI job. The hand-wringers will be reaching for the Xanax, and calling you on the phone non-stop. If the hand-wringers bug you to the verge of craziness, tell them to call the power company. Let the utility guys catch all the aggravation.

WJ

When customers ask me about power lines, I opine that until they have verifiable studies with proper conclusions I'm going to consider it hocus pocus. Mike

My thoughts are the same regarding the lack of definative answers - not much point in measuring. But, I thought I'd see what you guys thought since we are in different areas of the county. These buyers were from Jersey I think and they made it sound like it was a common measurement.