Any Reason for this?

sepefrio

Besides getting insulation facts wrong. First I can't remember ever seeing this foil without insulation attached. What is spread on top of the insulation looks like the exact same foil wrapped around ducts but does NOT have the attached insulation. It is a double ply foil, with woven threads, um, blanket. Maybe they were thinking of rolled insulation and this would have the same effect? The attic, which had several roof leaks and the HVAC sweating was very damp, musty and just smelled bad.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009422192944_sweating.jpg

18.83 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009422192959_foil1.jpg

16.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009422193015_foil2.jpg

46.16 KB

Hi,

It's a "radiant" barrier...sort of. That stuff was popular around here for a while in the 50's and 60's. I still occasionally find it under joists in crawlspaces. It's not much good unless it's clean, the area between it and the ceiling or wall has an air space and no air from the exposed side can get into the stud/joist bay.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

This stuff is just laid around, not sealed and there is plenty of air on top of and under it. Its 'installed" just like you install your towel at the beach, lol. The main reason I say beach towel, is that it also looks like quite a few sea gulls paid it a visit. Yes I found at least 5 leaks in this section of roof alone, but there had to be a couple hundred, quarter size stains all over it that are either drip stains or bird droppings that got wiped off (but not cleaned) before it was installed.