Little action here

I know you experienced inspectors are busy as heck and no one has much time to post during the season . So, how about letting us newer folks live vicariously through some of the odd stuff you're finding...it may just another bad floor to you, but speaking just for me, I learn a ton from seeing and hearing about the stuff you're finding.

I'm averaging .9 inspections a week now and still need some learnin.

LOL...didn't see the decimal point there for a minute.

Yesterday's was a 6 year old home. Someone had run conduit for the hot tub through the meshed crawl vents leaving about a 2 by 2" hole in the mesh. An otherwise nice house ruined for me by having to belly through the most rat droppings I've ever seen in one place. No photo, but I thought you could create and enjoy your own mental picture.

OK, I'm clean now,

I did a 17 year old on a conventional foundation last week. I found an area about 15 x 25 where the floor framing had all been either replaced entirely or sistered onto with treated lumber. The remaining original boards (or pieces thereof) were all rotten looking at the ragged edges, but the subflooring all looked original. No mold, vapor barrier, uninsulated floor frame, all vents closed. What do we have here? I had to have the report out early the next morning so I had to go with a couple of "could have been"s, a big "I don't really know", and a "ask the sellers about this, I'm sure they know". Gentlemen?

Brian G.

I've been side lined since Tue. when I had hernia surgery. I'm living through my guys out in the field now. Today our Client was a couple that we've inspected 2 other homes for. The 1st one was a POS pier & beam home that had termites and unlevel floors throughout. The late husband thought he was an electrician and his lack of experience showed. They backed out of that one because the old lady wouldn't give in to repairs or renogotiate.

The second home was a new home built out away from the city. There is no AHJ's here so the builders do pretty much what they want. This home also was a POS. No insulation in several parts of the attic but plenty over the garage. Disconnected ducts, no AFCI's, no GFCI's at exterior and only two in the Kitchen, etc, etc.

Mark called me today and said he could hear the theme song from Deliverance playing as he drove up to their latest find. He was on the phone to me when the water well pump came on and suprisingly said "F*** you should see the water coming out of this well head!" Bad and leaking roof. Rebar rusting and deteriorating the concrete. Huge brick veneer cracks. You name it. Seriously, I don't know how these kids keep coming up with these diamonds in the rough. Here's a link from the MLS.

The agent should be a best selling fiction writer.

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexd ... 0&leadid=6

Donald

Originally posted by RobC

Originally posted by Brian G.

I did a 17 year old on a conventional foundation last week.

Brian G.

[:-eyebrows]Living dangerously [:-scared]

What can I say? I'm a man of daring, a man of action, a man of the world, a man of...well, BS!

But it is a lovely thought, isn't it. [;)]

Brian G.

Ah, the Memories

I found a gas water heater flue piped into the throat of a 60 year old masonry fireplace. The water heater was very new with an inspection sticker on it. I was mentoring a new inspector that day and asked him to look carefully in the fireplace. He didn't see anything wrong.

Miss something like that and you've bought it.

Originally posted by hausdok

I do have a suggestion though. Why don't we experienced inspectors each take about 5 or 10 reports from properties that have been challenging for us to do, remove all of the identifying information from them, and then email them to Chad, so he can see how we've been writing them up and learn what things we encounter frequently?

That's a solid idea. I'm game if you want Chad. I could easily burn the corresponding photos on a CD and mail then to you as well, have 'em in a few days time. That's what I do anyway, it would be just like you were an out-of-town client.

Brian G.

Chad -

Last week I did a 2 year old house in the greater Kansas City area. The sellers were already moving out and the house was mostly vacant. Couldn't find anything wrong but a dirty furnace filter and a missing nut on an anchor bolt.

On top of that the listing agent had remembered to bring us chocolate chip cookies but had brought skim milk rather than the 2% we like.

Chad,

Re "odd stuff", a couple of years ago I was belly crawling through a two-three foot max height crawl space when I saw a shadowy area ahead.

Soon I found myself peering over the edge of an old hand-dug well that had been capped with a four-inch slab.

The well had caved and the slab cap had fallen, straight down, landing askew about eight feet down.

My heart jumped right into my throat, as I have been known to traverse the short places on my back.