The ASHI Branding Campaign

Michael Brown

Originally posted by admin

Hey guys,

Come'on, the poll asked about branding and you're hijacking it into a debate about IHINA. You both have been down this road a hundred times and are as far apart as oil and water where IHINA's concerned. Why not just agree to disagree and leave it at that? If you want to debate the merits of IHINA vs. marketing to realtors, why not start another thread and then beat each other to death over there?

(Just trying to avoid too much thread drift, and not trying to limit your debate.[:-boggled]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It is thread drift, but barely. Branding discussion inevitably leads to discussion of marketing to realtors which inevitably leads to IHINA proclaiming that which IHINA proclaims.

I'll back off; it's only discussion, albeit important discussion, at least for me. It's hard for me to let sanctimony glide by unchallenged; I'll work on it.

Brian tends to miss the point of the ethical quandry; it isn't "fine", but it is common. Too common. Common as dirt. Enacting laws to enforce the perceived ethical lapses of a profession is always well intended, but usually of little practical use in protecting the masses. We could look to the continuing ethical lapses of the securities industry as some reasonable evidence of the value our protective laws.

Education tends to work better; an informed public is the best defense against coersion by unethical antagonists.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kurt

Brian tends to miss the point of the ethical quandry; it isn't "fine", but it is common.

Huh? Whut'chu talkin' 'bout Willis? Where did the "fine" come from? [:-bigeyes2]

Enacting laws to enforce the perceived ethical lapses of a profession is always well intended, but usually of little practical use in protecting the masses. We could look to the continuing ethical lapses of the securities industry as some reasonable evidence of the value our protective laws.

I agree. Did you read Dennis' third quote, the guy who had me nodding? [}:)]

Education tends to work better; an informed public is the best defense against coersion by unethical antagonists.

Yeah, but a pump-shotgun ain't bad either. That's the Mississippi way. [:D]

Brian G.

Missing the Point, But Not Dinner

There is nothing like the wisdom of many independent business people. That is good and we are small business people because we want to do it "Our Way". But we need to make a common effort to present a united frount to edjucate the world about what a good home inspection is. ASHI is the best solution to that answer, I have noted. I have a drgree in marketing, but I do not want to spend all of my time marketing for others, so untill we do it as a team we will all flounder. Or to use an old saying, "let us all hang tohether or we will all be hung seperately."

Now that this poll has been up for a few days, it is clear to me that ASHI members are very divided (almost evenly) on this subject. It is a shame that this whole thing was so poorly thought out and presented to us without a clear plan and a membership vote. If it was shown how divided we all are about Branding, the program could have been altered in such a way that more of us may have accepted it and possibly changed our positions.

Roy makes a good point that we need to unify but Branding has actually caused a division between many members and ASHI. In the end, many of us will leave and it will weaken ASHI.

Originally posted by Brian G.

Enacting laws to enforce the perceived ethical lapses of a profession is always well intended, but usually of little practical use in protecting the masses. We could look to the continuing ethical lapses of the securities industry as some reasonable evidence of the value our protective laws.

I agree. Did you read Dennis' third quote, the guy who had me nodding? [}:)]

That was me.[:-bouncy] I was trying to quote Dennis, & somehow my post came up w/ his name on it. That "3rd quote" was mine! Brian, you've been agreeing w/ me all this time.[:-eyebrows].

I think it was some sort of glitch w/ the software; when editing my post, I think I deleted the "quote" signals, & it all ended up looking like Dennis post. Hmmmm........

That "3rd quote" was mine! Brian, you've been agreeing w/ me all this time.[:-eyebrows].

So Kurt, you got an org...?

I think it was some sort of glitch w/ the software; when editing my post, I think I deleted the "quote" signals, & it all ended up looking like Dennis post. Hmmmm........

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!! THAT'S WHAT IT IS, A DAMNED CONSPIRACY!!! Uh....any theories to go with that? [:-alien]

Brian G.

I Could Tell You How I'm Involved, But Then I'd Have To Kill You [xx(]

In a larger vein, we will all know what this branding thing is in just one little weeks time. Let's check back in when we all actually know what it is.

Kurt,

I hope they learned their lesson and the presentation at the convention is clear and not just a lot of smoke and mirrors. This is their last chance to pull in the members that are still on the fence.

Originally posted by Steven Hockstein

In a larger vein, we will all know what this branding thing is in just one little weeks time. Let's check back in when we all actually know what it is.

Kurt,

I hope they learned their lesson and the presentation at the convention is clear and not just a lot of smoke and mirrors. This is their last chance to pull in the members that are still on the fence.

So true, oh brother....

Although, for me, the big draw of InspectionWorld is the chance to hang out w/a bunch of my chums in this goofy business. Branding on, branding off, I don't really care. Some of my best friends in the world were met through ASHI; branding doesn't change that even one little itty bit.

• 2 weeks later...

$250.00

A lot of hurt feelings

& what does ASHI deliver?

IMHO A lot!

One thing I saw at IW was that most of us are independants. That is true in our lives & in our businesses. Because of this fact it is difficult to make the funds we allowcate to advertising go a long way. "The ASHI Experience" package gives all of us a number of tools (sorry I just had to use that word) to choose from. And just like we do in our work, we must decide which tools will allow us to accomplish our goals. Our individual situations, persionality, and budgets will require that we choose from the "tool kit". For the price of admission, I don't believe it can be beat.

Long time or new, in my opinion (legal disclamer/wiggle room) this package can benifit all inspectors who want to get the most bang for their bucks.[:-timebm]

Drift Does anyone have any digital photo's of the Gala? I'm looking for a few specific shots of the stage.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Folks,

Here's the link: The ASHI Experience

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Not, here is what I got

Your email message has been idle and this link has become inactive. To access the link, close this window and return to your MSN Hotmail Message. Then click the browser's Refresh button or close your message and reopen it.

Captain out[:-banghead]

Originally posted by Paul MacLean

I really didn't want to talk about branding before InspectionWorld, and now that I have been to InspectionWorld and seen Branding I still don't want to talk about it. I'll use what I can and dump the rest.

I'll shut up now.[xx(]

I'm gonna give that a big fat AMENid="size5">id="size5">

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the new HASHI web site yesterday. It looks neat. I'm on DSL and its slower than my old dial up was 2 years ago. I saw at least 1 candidate I trained 4 months ago on there, so I'm guessing its not just C2 candidates but anybody. I'm still trying to figure out why if members and c2's are both on it, why a member would pay $250 and a c2 pay $50.

It does not differentiate between a c2 with 90 days experience and a full member. I figure this will eventually harm all ASHI members.

They sent me a pledge of allegiance that among other issues has a hold ASHI harmless clause if this harms your business in any way. Humn!!!!!

We used to get a fair amount of hits off the ASHI web site until we got over 140 ASHI members and c2's in a 40-50 mile circle. Now

we get a hit every 3 months or so. Nobodys gonna wade through 80-140 names.

We joined NAHI several years ago because their Standards were a little better written and easier for the client to understand (thats what most of the attendees in the college class I teach on construction defects said). This past year I've gotten 4-5 hits a month off the NAHI site, and its been much more productive.

Dan Bowers (KC)

Originally posted by DLRambo

I saw at least 1 candidate I trained 4 months ago on there, so I'm guessing its not just C2 candidates but anybody. I'm still trying to figure out why if members and c2's are both on it, why a member would pay $250 and a c2 pay $50.

Dan,

It was my understanding that C-2's and Members were both paying the same $250. The change to C-2's and Members only under the ASHI Experience is coming at the first of April, or something like that. You'd have to check with someone at HQ to be sure, I'm going on vauge memory here.

Brian G.

C-1.9, and Leaning [:-slug]

We joined NAHI several years ago because their Standards were a little better written and easier for the client to understand

Dan Bowers (KC)

Dan,

You forgot to mention that NAHI has a MUCH better looking logo too. I have been looking for a reason to NOT join NAHI, I haven't found one yet, I am about to give up.

George

I just received my bill for the ASHI branding. I read the document and no where did it say that this was required. It appeared to be optional. What does everyone else think who has received the document? I am against ASHI Branding. I just dumped my franchisor for too many expenses and now ASHI is up to the same thing. [:-boggled]

I received my documents and bill for the ASHI branding today. After reading through it, it appeared to me that the fee for the ASHI experience is option. No where did it say that it was required. Has anyone else read this document and came up with the same conclusion?

Dave Voight

Originally posted by voight

I received my documents and bill for the ASHI branding today. After reading through it, it appeared to me that the fee for the ASHI experience is option. No where did it say that it was required. Has anyone else read this document and came up with the same conclusion?

Dave Voight

I was told that it is not an option. If you all pay, I will let you know what happens to those that don't.

I paid my extra dues at InspectionWorld. It is not optional. Those that have paid will remain on the Find-A-Inspector search on the ASHI site and will have use of the new tools. Those that do not pay will not be listed on the search feature or have use of the new tools.

I would pay the increase and give it another year to see if it is working for you. I am committing to the ASHI Experience for the long haul. The way I look at is that it can't hurt anything for me to participate it can only help my business. $250 is cheap for what we are getting in return, I know that $250 is a lot of money for most but I am looking at it as an advertising/marketing expense.

Guys - Are we all playing off the same page or what. I got my packet yesterday and it said Members pay $250 and ce's pay $50. It offered to let me pay in 2 installments if I wanted and said something that if my additional dues were not forthcoming by a certain date, I would be placed on administrative suspension or something like that.

It also said that according to Federal Law they were notifying us that the portion of our dues going to LOBBYING EFFORTs in 2003-2004 was 3%.

That does not exactly sound like what a few of you are describing that you got or am I looney?

Dan Bowers, CRI

or am I looney?

Dan Bowers, CRI

Dan,

Well, of course your looney... Think about it...You think you live in ..KANSAS city ... MISSOUI.. How could there possibly be such a place? Its what they call "an-ox-of-a-moron or something to that effect.

George