The ASHI Branding Campaign

Michael Brown

Housdak,

I just had to chime in on the whole ASHI fiasco/debacle. I am a member of NACHI and have thought about joining ASHI. However, it seems to be a bit over rated, especially when they send me applications for membership and tell me how they have spent x-amount of millions on how they self proclaim that ASHI is the only inspection association on the planet and all other associations are inferior. What's up with that?

I continue to enjoy this site which is almost as good (if not better) than attending a lot of seminars/training sessions. It's almost like going to an inspector meeting on-line. Thanks for everyone's comments and opinions. I continue to look forward to logging on whenever I can.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradd,"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones". Apparently ASHI is really interested in getting you to join. What are you bringing to the table? Have you passed the National Home inspectors exam?

I, personally, have been a member of more inspector organizations than you have fingers on your hands. I remain a proud ASHI member and am pleased to see others emulate my standards and ethics.

The new guys in this company have to apply for membership, no engraved invites here!

Chad, I am sure Scott Patterson could get you an invite.(I'll vouch for you!) Even 'tho you live in NY, I'm sure we would like you. Dennis might up your dues to match ASHI.

Humm, could it be that ASHI does not have access to those that take the NHIE? Yep, this is true. EBPHI does not sell the names of folks that take the NHIE. Same goes for the online standards and ethics test, as these are done by a third party testing company and all information is kept confidential.

Now if you have a state license, ASHI does harvest or subscribes to services for names & address of inspectors from the states around the country.

Kind of shoots a hole in the theory about ASHI getting names of those that pass the NHIE!

Les,

I appreciate your "words of wisdom" and will take heart to what you said. I am invited to several Associations a year, to the point where it's becoming [ok, who wants me to pay today and for what?]absurd. I was not big on the whole associate/full member structure C-1,B-52 thing but I'll look a little closer if I should be asked again. Thanks also to ScottPat for defining database gathering info.

• 1 year later...

I do not agree with branding. Who is to say that an ASHI inspector is any better than anyone else. So you have to completer 250 inspections before you are a full member? So at inspection 251 do you become a better inspector? All ASHI members have to take 2 tests... So what I had to take several tests to get into NACHI, not to mention to graduate from school.

Whatever happened to fair marketing? Now not only do we have to deal with the "Easy" inspectors, but now we have to deal with the political hierarchy from our fellow good inspectors? I am a damned good inspector and agents HATE me, so much so that i'm seriously considering going 100% independant.

I support NACHI, My organization actually respects it's members and makes an honest effort to teach us and give unlimited support.

I have been a member of other lesser orgs., and learned my lesson.

Hi David,

Why in the world would you dig up a thread that is so old! FYI, this program was only a two year intense marketing campaign by national ASHI. After that point it was up to the individual chapters and inspector to use what was developed if they so wished. ASHI did not really need to brand itself as it was already done in many markets across the county. All of this happened most likely before you became a home inspector.

As for fair marketing? I would not call the marketing that NACHI does as being fair or truthful for that matter. Certified by a joke of a test that many children and individuals who do not have a clue about home inspections have passed. To be a Certified Home Inspector, a person does not even need to have performed a home inspection. Now add in the CMI program and what a joke we have and a black eye to our profession.

As for the mock inspections and annual testing, this is not enforced one bit. I bet the mock inspections at filled in file 13 and are seldom looked at. It's just smoke and mirrors from the master of deception and illusion, Nick!

You say that you support "your" organization, NACHI. Then why in the world do you use the ASHI Standards of Practice for your standards and have a link to the ASHI SoP on your website. If you support NACHI, you need to have a link to the NACHI SoP and not ASHI's SoP.

Going independent might be the best thing for you to do, this way you will no longer be supporting an organization that is not respected by the majority of the experienced inspectors across this country. Heck you could even join ASHI, I'm sure that you could meet the requirements with you experience and knowledge that you have. You might learn more about what you are talking about if your were to get involved in ASHI and the profession.