Charred grounded conductors

Bain

So I looked at a panel this afternoon, and the cables connected to the left terminal bar were charred and the insulation was melted in varying degrees. Thing is, though, all the wires connected to the right terminal bar were pristine.

I realize the cables in the photo are probably just loose, but it isn't logical that the installer got everything nice and tight in the right terminal bar, and then was totally careless when he got to the left bar.

Any other possible explanations?

Click to Enlarge
tn_200961122126_DSC00017.jpg

46.1 KB

So I looked at a panel this afternoon, and the cables connected to the left terminal bar were charred and the insulation was melted in varying degrees. Thing is, though, all the wires connected to the right terminal bar were pristine.

I realize the cables in the photo are probably just loose, but it isn't logical that the installer got everything nice and tight in the right terminal bar, and then was totally careless when he got to the left bar.

Click to Enlarge

46.1 KB

It was probably a Friday afternoon install.

No. In my experience, it's usually because of loose connections.

Loose connections will definitely create high resistance, but couldn't a shared neutral do this as well?

An improperly shared neutral will heat up along its entire length, not just at the connection point.

As a general rule, if you see heating at a connection point, it's because the connection is or was loose.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Click to Enlarge

46.1 KB

Apprentice installer?

"This is how you do it..."

-Does it right a couple times

"Ok got it!"