Poor workmanship and dilapidated interiors

tnpappas

My question here is about poor workmanship and dilapidated interiors. What do you include in your report, or what do you just save as a verbal aside for a client? I’m referring to things like bad interior trim work, drywall repair, etc….Not really anything that affects the structure, but work that was just not done correctly.

If all the cabinetry in the kitchen is sound and functioning, but is really beat up, how do you handle reporting that condition?

Just looking to see how you all handle these or similar conditions.

Depends on the trashed level.......

I might describe it just as you did. The kitchen cabinets are beat up, scuffed, doors out of alignment, and filthy.

I might say the flooring needs refinishing, or the carpeting is filthy and it needs replacement. The interior woodwork is installed very poorly with multiple defects. Drywall has multiple defects including loose taping, nail pops, sagging, gouges, etc.

I see a few places that are just plain trashed. I described one place as "looking like it had just hosted a beer party for underage drinkers; it's trashed and it smells like vomit".

Don't be afraid to simply describe what you see in plain language. That always works best.

I'll take a few pictures of the more egregious conditions with arrows and circles marking the problems.

Troy,

pretty much what Kurt said. I suspect most seasoned inspectors spend some time establishing a certain raport with their client that would include; I am not inspecting decor, items of decoration, etc. I think there is a very fine line for workmanship. If I reported workmanship items that do not affect the component's functionality it would be a 50page report.

I think it is an inspector style issue.

And just for fun, a little something I learned long ago: Do not criticize the decor. The people who are buying the house love it, even if it's orangutan-ass ugly.

WJ

Even an orangutan ass can be a beautiful thing...to another orangutan.*

*Or that guy you saw at the zoo last Saturday -- the one lurking around the primate display for waaaaayyyyy too long...

I don't comment about that stuff whatsoever. I tell my clients flat out, I'm not here for cosmetic stuff, I'm here for important stuff... Structural, major mechanical, safety hazards. They can see the carpet, floors & cabinets as well as I can.

The only place I may make an exception would be if I saw damage of some kind in an otherwise pristine home or if it is a new house.

• 4 weeks later...

I have learned to take the cosmetic aspect on a case by case basis. Even if I dont report on it, I never ignore it. The lousey cosmetics can sometimes lead you yo bigger things.

When I get a job from someone out of the area who hasn't seen the place in person, and won't be there for the inspection, then, I pay more attention to the cosmetics. I pass the information on in the report but in a more general way.

I have learned to take the cosmetic aspect on a case by case basis. Even if I dont report on it, I never ignore it. The lousey cosmetics can sometimes lead you yo bigger things.

When I get a job from someone out of the area who hasn't seen the place in person, and won't be there for the inspection, then, I pay more attention to the cosmetics. I pass the information on in the report but in a more general way.

This is how I report it as well, out of town clients get the missing trim, etc. sentences and I try to include a picture that represents a sample of what I mean.